Steering wheel play 1". Can't find source.

Like you guys, there is play in my steering, 1 inch like Chris Red V8. I noticed that my power steering fluid is a pasty gray color. I'm suspecting water got in:notnice: Anyway, I've got the car scheduled to have the steering rack and inner and outer tie rods replaced. Sounds like I need to look at replacing the steering shaft as well. It looks like the part # for the MM shaft assembly is MMST-14 or MMST-15 if you want the manual version. It'll be a couple of weeks but I'll report back on the results. I'll go ahead and do the aluminum steering rack bushings as well.

Bchilt

Good point you bring up about old fluid. Not sure what the steering implications would be, but bad fluid will definitely wear out the steering pump a lot quicker. I flush out my steering fluid about every 12-18 months and not a single peep or issue in 6+ years.

• Sponsors (?)

One of my favorite steering mods has been the Steeda Billet Swaybar Mounts. They tightened the steering alot, but I can tell now how bad a stock steering rack is compared to more refined automobiles. Ex. BMW's or EVO's

I'll get the shaft tommorow, but if it isn't it, yikes. Couldn't I in theory test for slop in the rack by starting the car on a lift, disengage the cobra shaft, and put a wrench somehow on the rack input and move it around? Or even do that without the motor running.

The other culprit is inside the car, I don't like the idea of pulling and replacing the column, clockspring, etc.

I'll get the shaft tommorow, but if it isn't it, yikes. Couldn't I in theory test for slop in the rack by starting the car on a lift, disengage the cobra shaft, and put a wrench somehow on the rack input and move it around? Or even do that without the motor running.

The other culprit is inside the car, I don't like the idea of pulling and replacing the column, clockspring, etc.

Good! Update this thread when u get it!

nothing to report yet, I'm picking the car up tommorow, UPS didn't bring in some O2 extenders today (mine were dragging, not sure what happened, but they were eaten by the road rather quickly.

Shop feels its the rack itself, AGR thinks I can tighten the engagement between the rack shaft and pinion. We'll see how it goes tommorow.

WHen i bought the car 3 yrs ago my PS fluid was black. I flushed it then and again a year later. Both times after the fluid circulated it turned black. I have something deterioriating in there. But 3 yrs. of hard driving autocrossing and open tracking and I havent had any problems (except overheating fluid seeping from the weep hole on the reservoir cap). So I say HELL with the black fluid....I'll keep flushing it yearly and I'm sure it will keep turning black...BUT it has caused no problems and I'm not gonna change anything till something fails.:D

WHen i bought the car 3 yrs ago my PS fluid was black. I flushed it then and again a year later. Both times after the fluid circulated it turned black. I have something deterioriating in there. But 3 yrs. of hard driving autocrossing and open tracking and I havent had any problems (except overheating fluid seeping from the weep hole on the reservoir cap). So I say HELL with the black fluid....I'll keep flushing it yearly and I'm sure it will keep turning black...BUT it has caused no problems and I'm not gonna change anything till something fails.:D

I did the same thing, and when it was leaking like a quart a week, and intalled a new PS pump, it STILL turned black almost right away.

well, its improved, but there's still slop. It feels much more connected, less vague, but in the center there's just not much confidence in the feel. I can tell the AGR rack is really quick ratio because all my small adjustments throw me all over the road. The setup tracks beatifully, but with the play, I'm still all over the place in the straightline.

So either I need another new rack (since mine now has a couple weeks on it), or its the column itself above the steering shaft.

YEa its quite possible its not the steering shaft...the stock shaft (when it good shape) is not really that sloppy. Lots of peoples go south after doing headers cuz they sit so close to the shaft and the stock rag jount doesnt like heat.

Something else you can try. If you have CC plates pull the strut back towards rear of car as far as it will go to get as much positive caster as possible. This provides a much better steering experience.

I'm already above 6* on caster. Shortly I'll test the inside column, then also, AGR instructed me on how to tighten the pinion engagement. If that doesn't fly, I'll buy a new rack from summit and return this one.