Steering wheel vibration when braking

Seraphitia102

will post boobie pics for a supercharger
Oct 11, 2004
California
When I press on the brakes, my steering wheel begins to shake. I thought my rotors could be warped but I just got my 2-piece rotors like 3 months ago.

My installer told me that it's the front control arms because my 4 piston brakes are doing something to make them flex (I forgot what he said).

We installed Cobra front control arms (P/N M-3075-D) and the problem got better. It doesn't vibrate... as much now. There's just a little bit of steering wheel vibration now.

Does anyone know a probable cause? My installer told me to come back and check for "rotor runoff."

• Sponsors (?)

maybe rotor "run-out"? (where they aren't quite flat and square with the hub)

I don't think control arms would cause something like that, it almost has to be related to the brakes...if the rotors are still true*, then my bet would be they or the calipers aren't mounted square and flat...
or it maybe, could be, possibly a front wheel hub. but then you'd probably notice it when you turned or hit a bump or other times besides braking

*just because they were turned doesn't mean they aren't still warped or uneven :-/

thanks guys. when i got my cobra control arms, i saw my stock ones pulled out and they were really out of whack. The bushing was squeezed position. my new control arms solved about 80% of the vibration but there's still some left.

i believe the problem lies with what you guys mentioned... the rotors

*just because they were turned doesn't mean they aren't still warped or uneven :-/

True. I had a shaking steering wheel when braking problem not long ago, on our Honda CRV. I had the rotors turned, but still had the problem. I replaced the rotors, problem solved. If I have this kind of problem in the future, with any vehicle, I will just get new rotors.