Step 2 - Motorcycle Shopping – Head Spinning...

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
This is a continuation to my, “Thinkin bout getting my first bike”, thread posted back in March.

I’m scheduled to take the riding class to learn to ride and get my license in mid August. I’m now looking at 100’s if not 1,000’s of bike adds. Regardless of what I get, I will want to add a sissy bar and full windshield. I think it may be important to mention that I'm 6'3" - 175 lbs. with 36" legs and 36" arms. Here’s a few links to what I find appealing so far:

2005 Honda Shadow Aero VT750
I love the look, but am concerned about the low 25.9" seat height.

2005 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100C2

2004 Suzuki Volusia 800 SE

2005 Yamaha V Star Classic

I'm very curious to see what the "Kawasaki 2005 Vulcan 800 Drifter" will look like. Especially since the specs claim a seat height of 29.9".

I expect that I'll probably be buying a used bike, but I'm not likely to consider anything more than a few years old.

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

My dad has a 97 Kawaski Vulcan American Classic Edition 800cc which is the first bike I have rode, and I highly recommend it. I have ridden a Harley Heritage Classic and its nice, but like every Harley they are not reliable. But if I were you I would go with either the Kawaski or the Yamaha(drool) I really like how they look. They also have belt drive.

Get an enduro as your first bike. Several reasons why:

1. Nothing breaks WHEN you drop it. And thats not nessecarly an accident either. You WILL drop it parking at least once while learning.

2. They are exceptionaly easy to ride.

3. They are very tall. This means you wont accidently grind pegs, you can see ahead of that hummer (righ over its roof!) and that hummer can see you.

4. You get to go off-road. Even if you have no intention of becoming a motorcrosser, a lil bit of dirt experiance goes a LONG way on the street.

5. Did I mention nothing breaks WHEN you drop it?

I'd segest a used kawasaki KLR-650. Ride the piss out of it for 6 months, be thankfull you cut your teeth on something where looks dont matter, sell it for almost no loss, then buy your dream bike. You'll also have a better idea of wha is importiant to you in a bike.

While the thought of a motocrosser with a sissy bar and full windshield (did either of you even read his post?) is appealing, if I were in your shoes (with arms and legs bigger than my waist, I'm hoping they're big shoes) I'd looking at something like the Yamaha hot rod crusier VMax. They're plentiful, hold their value and go like hell. Plus they have a cult-like following and lots of aftermarket parts of all kinds.

"motocrosser with a sissy bar and full windshield" LOL zookeeper, but 72grande's ... "nothing breaks WHEN you drop it" ... is a good point. I'm sure I'd get hooked on the off-road experience in no time (trees don't tailgate), though I wouldn't expect much highway experience on a 337 lb. bike.

I'm discovering a disturbing trend in my search. There seems to be no shortage of first time (mid-life crisis?) riders out there selling there expensive bikes due too inexperience/fear. I stopped to look at a Harley V-Rod the other day, cause it was for sale on the side of the road (not in my budget or style preference), that only had 170 miles on it. The owner never really learned how to ride it!!!

You're right about that. It seems that there are a bunch of riders that love to buy bikes impress the nieghbors, girlfriend, riding buddies or whoever, but really lose the thrill of riding quickly. Another scenario is that they didn't fully realize how expensive bike insurance (a necessity when financing a bike) can be, and therefore didn't figure that into the budget of the bike. Either way, you the buyer can really profit from their short-sightedness and save big bucks. I'm in the market for a bike myself, only I'm looking for a motocrosser. I had one a few years ago, only had to sell it to pay doctor bills and swore them off forever. But I've had bikes (both dirt and street) since I was 7, and I'm now 42 and you just don't shake them that easily. I sold my streetbike when my son was a year old, and although I've really wanted another dirt bike, I never looked seriously until my wife brought it up a few months ago. She suggested that we buy bikes (she used to ride a 4 wheeler) for her my son and myself so we could go camping and riding again at the Oregon Dunes (heaven on earth!). Since I never argue with my wife, I reluctantly agreed. :D

It's a done deal. This thursday I will take delivery of my new 2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic. :banana: Deciding which bike to purchase has been a very hard decision. I went looking with the intent to buy something used in the 750-800 size range. Unfortunately my 36” legs don’t fit well on these bikes.

The way I see it, sooner or later I’ll have to learn to manage the weight of the bike that fits me. The fact that I’ve chosen to do this from day one, only means that I accept the financial risk.

Next research project = Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Shoes, Engine guard ...... :rolleyes: