stereo wires?

• Sponsors (?)

did you cut the wires to the stock wiring harness? if not then buy a wire harness at discount auto or autozone or anywhere whatever, and use that, the wires on those harnesses are prelabeled, that's how i put the CD player in my 92. ( although in retrospect, i think the harness made it a little easier on whoever stole that very nice CD player *sob* )... but even if you decide not to use or keep the harnes you can still use the wires on it as a guide, match them to the wires on your stang, then return it and get your money back... lol did that for my 87 EXP ... mwa hahahaaa

yeah i need it to.. i have a cd plaer in it now but it wont shut off with the car.. gotta shut it off manually
lol

um, your cd player should have two 12v+ wires one red and one yellow, (sometimes an orange also for dimmer control but that's another issue...) i'm pretty sure the yellow one is dedicated power ( radio stations, eq settings, etc.) and the red one is the accessory power, there are corresponding wires for the stock radio, or you can take some wire and run it to the fusebox and piggyback it on the accessory fuse, it's one of the blue ones... turn your radio on and pull fuses one by one till it shuts off ... ( my memory is sketchy sometimes) i did that for an old 35 watt amp i had and it worked fine for the 2 weeks before i got sick of wussy power and bought a 450 watt amp :p

oh, the red wire to the accesory fuse, the yellow one to wherever you have it now
hope it's some help, usually the color coding in car stereo is pretty standard, and the wires from ur stock radio might even have red for the red one and yellow for the other, i don't really remember cause i used the harness from the store and just matched colors

mustangjoshs said:
oh, the red wire to the accesory fuse, the yellow one to wherever you have it now
hope it's some help, usually the color coding in car stereo is pretty standard, and the wires from ur stock radio might even have red for the red one and yellow for the other, i don't really remember cause i used the harness from the store and just matched colors

I believe the yellow is like the ignition wire, this one cuts the radio off when you cut the car off.

:shrug: oh maybe i was wrong... that happens a lot :bang:

but i'm pretty sure according to EIA code, these are the colors

RED - Switched power
YELLOW - Constant Power
BLUE - Power Antenna
BLUE/WHITE - Amp Remote or Accessory turn-on lead
BLACK - Ground
ORANGE - Dimmer
GRAY - Front Right
WHITE - Front Left
VIOLET - Rear Right
GREEN - Rear Left