stiffer rear shocks?

93project

Apr 21, 2009
El Paso, tx
What's a good stiff rear shock for a non drag strip, street car? I've got Monroe sensatrac I bought at work but the car bottoms out pretty easy back there when I go over uneven road. I'd actually like a harder ride back there so the fenders don't contact the tire as much...
Or what do u recommend to help out?

• Sponsors (?)

ANYthing is stiffer than Monroe Sensa-Craps. Literally anything. They're the only shock in the world that comes worn-out right out of the box, on purpose. A bag of overboiled spaghetti would be a start in the right direction. That said, it's not the shocks' job to prevent bottoming out, it's the spring's job. So...how lowered are you, and on what springs?

Reactions: 1 user
ANYthing is stiffer than Monroe Sensa-Craps. Literally anything. They're the only shock in the world that comes worn-out right out of the box, on purpose. A bag of overboiled spaghetti would be a start in the right direction. That said, it's not the shocks' job to prevent bottoming out, it's the spring's job. So...how lowered are you, and on what springs?
Really? Wow, I never heard bad stuff about Monroe before... Anyway, I've got ford B springs all around. I'd like to change them to a stiffer spring , maybe steed a, later..I can get kyb at work... Maybe those to start...

kyb sucks they are the hardest thing going it make the car ride like :poo: with no benefit , I had them on my 2000 gt with h&r ss springs , I am running eibach pro kit with the tockico and it's stiff but doesn't break your neck . And I am in NYC which has some of the worst streets

Yup, KYB are artificially stiff, with very little actual control. They're kind of the opposite of the Sensa-Craps, which are purposely loose and worn-out in the middle range of travel, then get tighter towards the ends. The KYB's are artificially stiff when you don't need stiffness, and too loose when you do.

Tokico Blue/HP are a great first starting point.

I'm a big proponent of the Strange 10-way adjustable shocks, but it should be noted that most of the adjust shocks are adjustable on the rebound side only, which doesn't give you the ability to adjust them stiffer to avoid bottoming out, like a double adjustable shock would.

Double adjustable shocks aren't that expensive though. You could try the Strange or QA1 double adjustables.