Still Jerking

Malevolyn

Dec 7, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Replaced the plugs, that helped a little bit. Same with transmission fluid. Cleaned the MAF, just changed the oil, used Seafoam. My car is still jerking under acceleration in a high gear (mostly 5th under 3000).

...Clutch? :(

Is there anything else I can try?

• Sponsors (?)

Malevolyn said:
Replaced the plugs, that helped a little bit. Same with transmission fluid. Cleaned the MAF, just changed the oil, used Seafoam. My car is still jerking under acceleration in a high gear (mostly 5th under 3000).

...Clutch? :(

Is there anything else I can try?
Fuel filter is a must, injector cleaner, new injectors, clean maf, new air filter, read codes, better has, higher octane gas, exhaust leak. All are possibilities.

Fuel filter is new, fuel pump is good, injectors are clean (maybe too clean at this point), MAF is clean, I run 93 octane gas.

The exhaust leak is very possible. Check out this nasty welding job (done before I bought the car, I wouldn't stand for junk like this):

blackink00
Check your PMs.

Malevolyn said:
Fuel filter is new, fuel pump is good, injectors are clean (maybe too clean at this point), MAF is clean, I run 93 octane gas.

The exhaust leak is very possible. Check out this nasty welding job (done before I bought the car, I wouldn't stand for junk like this):

blackink00
Check your PMs.
If the plugs helped some, maybe the COPS need to be checked. the boots can be had for cheap. They could be corroded.

look for vacuum leak near injectors. a single cylinder vacuum leak causes a lot of that crap. the engine won't compensate for just one cylinder lean. you'll find a very small misfire in one or more cylinder is the root cause. i mean VERY small.

Venom_Nitrous said:
If the plugs helped some, maybe the COPS need to be checked. the boots can be had for cheap. They could be corroded.
They helped very little. As in juuuust enough for me to notice. And it varies day to day. For example, earlier today it accelerated hard in 5th (as hard as it can from 45 to 75 in 5th, I guess) with no jerking whatsoever.

I know the injectors are clean. Maybe they're just getting old and need replacing? I'll check the COPs and that possible vacuum leak before I worry about that, though. I'd rather rule out the simpler problems before I start taking apart the engine. I'll keep you guys posted.

Had a convo with a friend earlier tonight and we're pretty sure it's not the clutch, since the engine would still rev fine. Not sure why I thought that to begin with, actually...