Still Won't Start.... Now What?

87LX2.3

Apr 23, 2009
Central Iowa
Ok, here's the scoop, I replaced the valve cover gasket on my '87 2.3 last Friday. After getting it all put back together, I checked to make sure all of the hoses, lines, wires, and linkages were hooked up. It looked like all of them were, so I started it up. It ran a little rough, but I didn't think anything of it. As soon as I put it in reverse to back it out of my driveway, it coughed, shuddered, and then died. When I tried to restart it, it acted like it wasn't getting fuel. It cranked over perfectly, but it wouldn't start. I've gone back and re-checked all the hoses, electrical plugs, and lines, and everything I can find was hooked up. How can I check to see if I'm getting fuel? What other possibilities could it be? Thanks!:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

um

do you have spark???? there is a valve on your fuel rail, kinda looks like the valve stem onyour tire, thake the cap off and push on the innercore of the valve thatll tell you if there is fuel present at the rail. Do you hear the pump cut on when you cycle the key??? whhere are you located at??? ill come figure it uot for you lol

we need to know the basics,,,

do you have spark???

do you have fuel???

is the timing correct???

you have to do some investigating to figure it out other than that i dunno whatelse to tell you.

good luck

Just an update, I went out and checked the valve on the fuel rail. No fuel came out, however, I have checked that before and there's never been any fuel coming out. Maybe that's a problem in itself. I know the timing is right because it ran OK until I put it in reverse. I would think it's getting spark because I just put a new TFI module on last month, and it ran fine, until I decided to change the stupid valve cover gasket! :mad: Anyway, what else could I do to check spark? Is there something else causing a no fuel? It ran fine until after I changed the gasket! If anyone has anymore ideas, I would be very greatful.:hail2:

There are quite a few things that you would have to remove or set aside when you do your valvecover gasket on your car. Some things to re-check: Be sure you have no intake/vacuum leaks. This is an easy thing to overlook. Be sure that you did not leave a vacuum line unplugged or accidentally damaged one while doing your repair. I've done it quite a few times by accident. Also, be sure that any lines you did unplug were routed back properly to where they should go. Check all your electrical connectors you had to disconnect and be sure they are tight and in good condition. Your MAP/BP sensor sits right above your valvecover, attached to the firewall. Be sure the wires and vacuum line are securely attached and that you did not damage it while you were doing your repair. Same for your throttle position sensor and idle air controller (both located at the throttle body). If everything checks out fine and is installed properly, then it's time to check for error codes in the computer. Haynes and Chilton manuals, and many places online, have step by step instructions on how to read your codes. It is VERY simple to do and very useful. You would have Ford's EEC-IV computer system so use those instructions to read and interpret your codes.

You Rock!

Thanks man, that helps.
I hope I didn't damage any lines that are hard to replace. If that happened, it might be easier to just remove the engine and fix all of the leaks then. Ha Ha
Anyway, thanks a bunch.