Stock 2000 GT

sequentialights

Dec 29, 2007
I have a stock 2000 Mustang GT with the 4.6 V8. What's the best way to get more horsepower out of the engine? My budget is $1000-$2000.

It's not urgent...I'm just looking for some ideas for a summer project. I'd like to know what you guys think. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

um i would say look into a 5.4 swap with cam's its easy, and doesn't take to much to get it to work properly

why? Same heads that have to work more to fill the cylinders. Not a good swap unless you are have a built motor with a power adder.

Id go with a set of pullies, LT headers, gears, shifter, timing adjuster or tune. You will pick up 30-40hp, and the gears will help the car get in the powerband quicker, which will help out. Otherwise, save your money and just go for a blower down the road.

let me see, i said with a new cam, its more displacement which for even just stock parts used, you gain hp. and you get loads of torque. its a nice way to get power for a N/A car. because just remember, there is not replacement for displacement

let me see, i said with a new cam, its more displacement which for even just stock parts used, you gain hp. and you get loads of torque. its a nice way to get power for a N/A car. because just remember, there is not replacement for displacement

you have a lot to learn about 2v's, my freind :nice:

displacement and cams are only 2 componets to an engine. Many other factors need to be evaluated.

also a 5.4 2v built PROPERLY can have as much HP as a built 4.6 4V, with more torque. you need to read some on the 5.4 swap before you dis it..
here is a link to a place where it says the benefits of it compared to a 4.6
http://mustangboards.com/dyno-results/27326-5-5l-baseline-dyno.html

Ive read up on it, and understand. Also, Ive gotten my experience other than message boards. BTW, NA 2v 4.6's are in the 350rwhp range NA, so whats your point? The guy said his budget is 1000-2000 dollars, read the post, were not talking endless amounts of money here. A built 5.4 2v is going to need to be tuned. I dont think its happening for 1-2k, the guy in your thread has a 5.5L motor, proboly with forged internals and headwork. Even if not, its not happening for 1-2k, so how does that apply to this thread?

I have a stock 2000 Mustang GT with the 4.6 V8. What's the best way to get more horsepower out of the engine? My budget is $1000-$2000.

It's not urgent...I'm just looking for some ideas for a summer project. I'd like to know what you guys think. Any ideas would be appreciated.

75mm TB + Plenum $200
Steeda U/D pullyes $190
3.73 or 4.10 gears $140
Xcal 2 or 3 tuned from Tim at MPH $400
exahust mide pipe and catback $700
FRPP B springs (lowers the car a little over an inch) $140
steeda Bump steer kit $120
MM caster camber plates $200
Remove your air silencer and buy a K&N for around $40

All in all thats about $2200 worth of mods and it should get you about a 30+ rwhp increase and make your car handle better. You also should get a grile delete kit and chin spoiler. Also with the gears it will make your car fell much, much faster.

its do-able, just find the right parts...

ok, show me one person that has their car up and running with a 5.4 swap, including labor, headwork, cams, tune, etc. or whatever they have done for 1-2k, if your mechanic, maybe, but obviously this guy proboly isnt, so I want to see it......

I can do it for about 1000 bucks minimum cost. That's assuming a nearly free engine. 2K is right at the minimum for a basic swap plus all the little odds and ends. It's 100% totally doable but you have to do a lot of the work yourself. That's not a problem since it's totally kick ass easy to swap a motor in these cars.

So yeah, YOU ARE 100% CORRECT. It's is very possible but it takes work and patience.

My swap including motor has about 6500 bones in it. That's a fully built motor, adapter plates, clutch, exhaust, cams, ported heads, fuel rails, injectors, intake, odds and ends and labor including blueprinting the motor, all machining and all parts.

Tell the haters they out to check in on our 5.4 swap thread and talk to the 10+ peeps doing it or done with it already.

FWIW, I would have originally only spent 900 bucks on mine. That's all the parts that I started with (complete motor and adapter plates and clutch) cost and I was planning on doing all the work myself. It would have come in under a grand but I wanted to be able to do boost, nitrous, and hard racing with no worries.

now see here is word that it is possible... straight from a guy that has done it, and helped a few ppl do it... if you read his is only expensive because it is built with lots of work done to it

oh and here is a nice thread you can read if you want more info..
http://mustangboards.com/modular-4-6l-tech/9238-anyone-intrested-5-4l-swaps-here-need-you-opine.html:D :D :D :D

now see here is word that it is possible... straight from a guy that has done it, and helped a few ppl do it... if you read his is only expensive because it is built with lots of work done to it

oh and here is a nice thread you can read if you want more info..
http://mustangboards.com/modular-4-6l-tech/9238-anyone-intrested-5-4l-swaps-here-need-you-opine.html:D :D :D :D

whats your point? You still have yet to prove anything about having a 5.4 done for 1-2k. Keep trying. :rlaugh: Youve proven your lack of experience with 2v's, you copy and pasted somebody that had a 5.5l first, then you show me where somebody got the parts for 900 bucks. Trolls and newbies like yourself crack me up, you have no experience with na 2v's, you read some message board, then you think you know what the hell your talking about. How many NA 5.4 2v NMRA cars do you see? Almost none, because it is not cost efficient and the gains are minimal, if any at all. Pull your head out of your azz and get with the program. Hats off to those that do it, however it is not a cost efficient swap

NA 5.4 2v is NOT THE WAY TO GO, and it CANT BE DONE FOR 1-2k with aftermarket cams like you stated in your original post. So please, try again, the guy has 1-2 k to spend. You said it can be done for that, so please show me where you can get the shortblock, pay for the labor to swap motors, pay for the aftermarket cams/valvsprings, pay for the labor to install/degree the heads and cams, and pay for the car to be tuned.

how much more power do you think that a stock 5.4 liter makes over a 4.6? Not much if any. Sure, you have the torque potential, but just like an na 4.6, that motor will have to be worked over to get power. so why would you spend that type of money swapping out the blocks? To see any potential increase in power, you will the motor to be worked. As I stated again, it wont happen for 2000 grand. Then you have to factor in a possible new intake(1000 bucks right there) Headers(if you go that route), adapter plates, altering the stock k member, or getting a new k member.

I'm the guy he's quoting. Your own ignorance and doubts aside, all things are possible with effort. You should really read up before you shoot people down. I started my swap on a 1000 dollar budget and made it but then the week I was gonig to drop it in I decided to do a built motor and spent another 5500 bucks getting there.

Most of the people who've done the swap did it with the stock tune and later got a performance tune. It'll run just fine on a stock tune and with stock heads and cams and a PI intake on adapter plates 280/350+ is not uncommon after the tune. With a proper 5.4 specific intake(modded L intakes, custom, or HPS's new intake), longtubes and stage 2 cams you can easily pull 350rwhp/tq out of it on pump gas.

If you're going to be a jerk about disagreeing, at least have the courtesy to be correct or educate yourself by going and reading the 109 pages of that thread dude linked. It's perfectly cost effective if your goals are in line with the documented results.

Just because it's not your limited view of the way things should be it is an option, it is sick fast and cheap and easy. Get off your high horse kiddo.

BTW... a basic 5.4 swap with a tune normally yeilds 50hp/tq over a tuned NA 2v 4.6 even when hamstrung with adapter plates. Yeah...that's nothing huh.

I'm the guy he's quoting. Your own ignorance and doubts aside, all things are possible with effort. You should really read up before you shoot people down. I started my swap on a 1000 dollar budget and made it but then the week I was gonig to drop it in I decided to do a built motor and spent another 5500 bucks getting there.

Most of the people who've done the swap did it with the stock tune and later got a performance tune. It'll run just fine on a stock tune and with stock heads and cams and a PI intake on adapter plates 280/350+ is not uncommon after the tune. With a proper 5.4 specific intake(modded L intakes, custom, or HPS's new intake), longtubes and stage 2 cams you can easily pull 350rwhp/tq out of it on pump gas.

If you're going to be a jerk about disagreeing, at least have the courtesy to be correct or educate yourself by going and reading the 109 pages of that thread dude linked. It's perfectly cost effective if your goals are in line with the documented results.

Just because it's not your limited view of the way things should be it is an option, it is sick fast and cheap and easy. Get off your high horse kiddo.

BTW... a basic 5.4 swap with a tune normally yeilds 50hp/tq over a tuned NA 2v 4.6 even when hamstrung with adapter plates. Yeah...that's nothing huh.

why dont you read this thread at hand, the guy is not doing his own work, he wants peformance mods for 1-2k. Its not happening with him not doing the work.

As far as 350rwhp, big deal, its been done a number of times on a 2v. Houston Performance put out a 338rwhp car at 281ci in 2000, years before the aftermarket came around. Talk is big, thats great youve done it. However, does it make it cost effective vs. a na build? Many top people dont believe so, thats why its not done near as often. However, neither matters bc you, like the other guy, are jumping to something other than the original thread.

The guy wanted performance mods for 1-2k, if you too clowns truely feel that 1-2k spent on a stock 5.4 is better for him then a set of gears, pullies, TA, and headers, then so be it. If the guy wanted had the money to spend, then maybe he could go your route. But is doesnt seem like this guy is interested in a build. The thread was never meant to be what is better, the thread is what is the best for him with his car with the limits. You guys are not thinking of the budget he has. If their was no budget, then shoot, Id say go for forged 12.1:1 compression motor from Modularpowerhouse, have the heads ported, put a set of nasty cams in the car, and have it tuned. But that is not the thread. Remember he only has 1-2k to spend on his car, so if he did somehow get the parts and manage to spend 2k on all of it and the install, he still has a stock car. Thats all this thread was referring too.

and a 5.4L swap doesn't take much to do.. let me see you swap the oil pan, a new front cover and timing chains, intake adapters, or new intake (5.4 HPS intake) and modify two heater hoses, which you can get to work with hardware store stuff.

you pull the engine and drop the 5.4 in, after you do the few things i listed. and plug and play the rest DONE. the hardest thing would be pulling the engine... READ UP!!

and yea more torque is a performance upgrade last time i heard, OR wait never mind according to what i am reading from you.. torque ehh who cares about torque its not a performance upgrade..

he asked for idea's i gave one and you keep on bashing me and R3dn3ck on it.. STFU.. it was an idea doesn't mean that what he should do.. and yeah WHERE DID HE SAY HE COULDNT DO THE WORK HIMSELF??? please show me..