Stock 302 heads on 351 Windsor block?

TweekedGT

Jul 22, 2004
Alberta
Ok this is going to be a very stupid question but will my stock 302 heads and intake fit onto a 351 stroked out to a 408 block? I am assuming yes but want to make sure. Had plans for a bigblock swap but some ****s happened and can't do it. I don't want to go hacking up the Fox if I can get the power i want by going 351 stroker instead and keeping the EFI and EECIV. Will the EECIV work with a 351 as well? I'm a noob to pushrods, sorry about the dumb questions guys. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Most 302 aftermarket heads are drilled for 1/2" holes if I recall.

If not, drilling out will work fine:)

You are correct...just about every set i've dealt with were 1/2 inch holes.

I would think you'd be better off just using stock 351W heads than stock 302 heads, especially on a stroked 351 since you'll have slightly bigger intake valves.

You are correct...just about every set i've dealt with were 1/2 inch holes.

I would think you'd be better off just using stock 351W heads than stock 302 heads, especially on a stroked 351 since you'll have slightly bigger intake valves.

+1 those heads are WAY too small..i have ported GT40 heads on my 351 and people are telling me they're choking the engine, which i wouldent doubt but it's all my budget will allow...i hear good things about the older 351w heads(69-74?)

+1 those heads are WAY too small..i have ported GT40 heads on my 351 and people are telling me they're choking the engine, which i wouldent doubt but it's all my budget will allow...i hear good things about the older 351w heads(69-74?)

It all depends on who you ask....the '93 Lightning had good old GT40 heads on its 351W...your ported GT40s are probably better than any other stock/unported 351W head.

The '69s are very similar to the later GT40 heads....so they're a close second to them but you probably would still be better off with the last of the 5.0 Cobra heads or GT40Ps. I have '69 351W heads but mine are ported to heck and back so that changes everything.

Reborn mo fos.. Ive got a stocm bottom end 351w ive got some nice aluminum gt40s i think they are they have no markings . just 1.6 rrs and dual valve springs. They have 7/16 bolt holes. If i drill them out whats a good way of doing it. Type of bit i should use. What size to start with. All that. Im pretty skilled in metal work. But ive done little aluminum work. Other than welded it. I dont wanna warp or crack or call othing. I traded my 10th anniversary cobras and nitto 555 tires for these heads and a 5 lug rear end with 4.10 geara and disk brakes

If you have a real drill press, then do it yourself. Buy a nice new 1/2" metal drill bit and go at it. Use some WD40 to spray on the bit as you drill. Be careful not to damage the cylinder head surface by leaving shavings or debris on the drill press table.

You may want to bolt the heads to the drill press table to keep everything lined up and stable. If the drill bit hangs, it will rotate the head and mash anything that gets in the way; that includes your hands and fingers.

If you don't have a drill press, then it is time to take the heads to the machine shop and let them do it.

Hmmmm i was thinking hand drill them.. Just to cure my curiosity whats worst that can happen if i hand drill. The bit will some what center its self via the existing 7/16 hole. I have access to a press but its just a garage low end one.

Hmmmm i was thinking hand drill them.. Just to cure my curiosity whats worst that can happen if i hand drill. The bit will some what center its self via the existing 7/16 hole. I have access to a press but its just a garage low end one.
Because of the rotation of drill bits the holes usually walk off center. That could cause an alignment issue with the head studs or bolts. I believe machine shops use a different type of bit to enlarge head bolt holes.

I've heard of guys drilling them by hand....but I wouldn't do it. The machine shop shouldn't charge much. If they screw up, at least, you've got someone else to yell at. ( other than yourself )