Fuel Stock Fuel Pumps

hemi_fan

Apr 8, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I was having issues with the engine cutting out when my fuel tank was below 3/4 full around hard corners so I picked up a used gas tank to swap with the one in my car. I'm told the tank is out of an '85 V6 car. The pump I pulled out of it is a Walbro model 5521. Is this an 88lph pump (aka can I use it on my '90 5.0?)

• Sponsors (?)

You're in the 94-95 section which is probably why you got a slow response. Someone will probably move this to the standard Foxbody tech section soon. I'm not sure about the fuel pump model number. I would think it would be cheaper to buy a new fuel pump then a whole used gas tank. Don't forget to put a fresh sock on the bottom of it.

Kurt

Whoops! Not sure how I managed that! Thanks for the reply :)

My suspicion is that the pump is not really the issue (although it is insanely loud). The tank was replaced back in 1993 by the original owner with an aftermarket unit. The baffles in the bottom of the tank in some aftermarket units seem to be too close to the bottom creating starvation issues during hard cornering so I'm putting in a used OEM fuel tank and replacing the pump while I'm at it. I just want to make sure the pump I put in will work. I assume the Ford 88LPH pump is good to go but not sure about the Walbro.

I know Walbro is the original manufacturer. I would think an 85' would be carbuerated on a V6. I'm not for sure on that at all though. I guess those wouldn't have an in tank pump on a carb car anyway. You can always take that number up to Advance and have them cross it over for you, see what it comes up with.

Kurt