Suspension Stock K Member Capabilities

patboy

Oct 22, 2006
Dallas TX
In the end, I hope to be putting around 650 ponies to the back wheels of the ol' stang. My question is how much abuse will the stock k - member take before something goes wrong up there? it's a 93 coupe, the chassis pretty stiff; 8 point roll bar and sub frame connectors. I realized it would probably be to my advantage just to switch it out (to a tubular k-member), but I really don't want to shell out the benjamins for it. Thinking I could stiffin the stock unit by welding some thick metal along most of it for support if i needed to. But im really wondering how much it will take? I'm just going to be running 17" low profile tires on it, not drag slicks or anything. I appreciate any input you have on the subject

• Sponsors (?)

The stock k is almost indestructable.
It's far better than almost every tubular k you can buy.

Unless you have the money for a griggs or Maximum motorsport, spend your cash somewhere else.

The stock k is almost indestructable.
It's far better than almost every tubular k you can buy.

Unless you have the money for a griggs or Maximum motorsport, spend your cash somewhere else.

Durability is not an issue with the stock k-member. People usually swap to aftermarket k-members for weight reduction and increased clearance. Some k-members also relocate suspension points to change the handling.

Troofs... their first life was as ship anchors for aircraft carriers. :O_o: