stock radio what size fuse?

yeska68

May 2, 2002
Oakland ca
is it true that the fuse for the radio is the same fuse for the turn signals?
1968 mustang 2v 289 stock am radio(stock everything). when i first bought the car the the radio worked then the blinkers went out along with the radio. i replaced the fuse and now only the blinkers work. is it possible that the fuse that i used is strong enough to only allow the blinkers to work??? what fuse is the correct fuse for the blinkers and/or the radio. PS. what does it mean when a fuse keeps burning out??

any info appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

yeska68 said:
is it true that the fuse for the radio is the same fuse for the turn signals?
1968 mustang 2v 289 stock am radio(stock everything). when i first bought the car the the radio worked then the blinkers went out along with the radio. i replaced the fuse and now only the blinkers work. is it possible that the fuse that i used is strong enough to only allow the blinkers to work??? what fuse is the correct fuse for the blinkers and/or the radio. PS. what does it mean when a fuse keeps burning out??

any info appreciated.

I am not sure on the size you need. But I would guess a 10 or 15 amp should be fine for the radio. If the fuse keeps blowing then you either have a bigger amp load then the fuse your using or a short. Might have a hot wire that is shorted to something metal and blowing it. Hope that made sense. I am picking up some wiring diagrams this weekend for my 67. I will look at it and see if I can find what wire goes to your radio and post it up.

yeska68 said:
is it possible that the fuse that i used is strong enough to only allow the blinkers to work???
No fuses do not work that way. They allow electricity to pass to anything on the circuit, as long as they do not get overloaded. The wire in the fuse is designed to melt if there is an overload. This protects the car from burning up in the event that you have a "short" in the circuit. Since the radio is not working, it suggest there is a problem with that circuit. You should find the problem before going any further.
I do not know the size fuse you need. You should not use one with a higher capacity than the one that you removed. HTH