Stock Sub-frame Connecters in Cobras?

Superhereaux

chicks make me feel inadequate
Founding Member
Jul 30, 2002
South Texas
did any of the '99-'o4 Cobras have factory bolt-in sub-frame connectors?

i know Verts, Bullitts and Mach 1's had them but i'm not sure about the Cobras. i'm almost certain they did but just wanted to be sure

:OT:
how much did you pay to have your sfc's welded in?

• Sponsors (?)

some guys have paid 30 bucks, some have paid 200. Depends on who is doing it and how they are doing it. If it is on an alignment lift and a certified welder is doing the job, then its going to be more expensive then if joe shmo from Mufflers-r-us tackin it on to your car. Me, the shop I am going to have do min is around 200. You pay for what you get.

Remember to have a load on the car. You do not want to have the body flexed when it's welded. Those are easy to install. You shouldn't have to pay more than 1 hour of labor.

Remember to have a load on the car. You do not want to have the body flexed when it's welded. Those are easy to install. You shouldn't have to pay more than 1 hour of labor.

yeah, i've been calling around to several places asking if they have drive on lifts

most muffler shops don't, i'm NOT taking it to Midas or Meineke, 4x4 shop won't touch it and although we have a drive on lift at work we don't have a welder. 2 shops i've heard good things about aren't open saturdays so that won't work seeing as how i have to work everyday (including saturday but i get off at 3).

i called at LEAST 15 places. who would've though these damn sfc's would be such a pain in the ass to get installed:shrug:

Make sure you pull the carpet as well. Don't want this to happen.

Mach.jpg

Attachments

• Mach.jpg
    Mach.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 74
You beat me to it.

Pull the interior yourself and get the car preped for it ahead of time and it shouldn't take more then 1 hour of labor.

Why don't you have a friend help you out with pickup/drop off. Maybe you could drop your car off at the end of the day and pick it up the next day.

Option number 2 is to buy a welder yourself and do it at the shop after work.
Then you can get into all kinds of fun stuff. Box your control arms, build strut tower bars for yourself, weld the seems on your rear axle for added strength and so on.

Why don't you have a friend help you out with pickup/drop off. Maybe you could drop your car off at the end of the day and pick it up the next day.

i can't be there while the work is being done (obviously) so that's a big negative

Option number 2 is to buy a welder yourself and do it at the shop after work.
Then you can get into all kinds of fun stuff. Box your control arms, build strut tower bars for yourself, weld the seems on your rear axle for added strength and so on.

don't know how to weld:shrug:

Yeah a welder sleeping on the job would do that, you don't need to pull anything out, just try to move the fuel lines out of the way or cover them up.

:stupid:
these are standard length sfc's, not much welding involved so i think i'll be ok

The shop that made and welded mine in on the Cobra didn't pull the interior. All they do is cages, and subframes and metal fabbing, so they just must watch the interior with one dude while the other welds. They said they did not pull my carpet. IF so, the price would have doubled.

How good are the stock vert sub frames? I have a pair at work I unbolted. Should I weld them in on my 81 notch instead of buying a pair?? They are not too heavy duty, kind of thin really.

The shop that made and welded mine in on the Cobra didn't pull the interior. All they do is cages, and subframes and metal fabbing, so they just must watch the interior with one dude while the other welds. They said they did not pull my carpet. IF so, the price would have doubled.

How good are the stock vert sub frames? I have a pair at work I unbolted. Should I weld them in on my 81 notch instead of buying a pair?? They are not too heavy duty, kind of thin really.

Vert subs have holes in them, try to stay away from anything that is drilled because of Metal Fatigue