Stock suspension, trying to fit 275/50s for this Sat. Quad shocks?

blackened88lx

Aug 9, 2006
Connecticut
I know this has probably been covered before, and I did some searching but couldn't find a very good answer to my question. I'm taking my car to the track this Saturday, kinda last minute, and I really don't want to run it on street tires. I might be able to borrow a set of 275/50/15 bfg DRs on a set of 5.5" bs draglites, but I don't know how they will fit. I'm assuming they will hit the quads. Can I just flip the quads? How bad will it hop if I remove them all together?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hmm. I now also have a set of 275/50/15 ET Streets on turbines that I'm bringing. I'll try both sets on tonight and flip the quads if I have to. Can't wait to see what this stock pig will run. Stock rev limiter launches ftw.

I really hope your kidding about the rev limiter launches with the stock suspension. Yeah i thought oh it will be fine, everybody on stangnet does it and they dont break stuff. yeah hello.

I wish i had pictures to show what happened to my 88 gt with 4000 rpm launches on slicks on the street. Cracked block,broke ears oft the starter, cracked bellhousing right in half,snapped u joint at the front yolk which resulted in driveshaft putting a nice hole in the floor, hmmm what else happened, throw out bearing became misaligned with the brokend bellhousing, so after i put an driveshaft on, on the side of oregon avenue in philadelphia at 4 am , it still wouldnt drive right. We jacked up the car after waiting 4 hours for a friend to bring his spare driveshaft, and popped ont he new shaft, go to start it and the starter just went grrrrrrr.zzzzzzzz. i was like wtf, and then i noticed that the starter was just loosely laying inside the bellhousing and the ears were bolted the bell housing and broken off the starter. Then we said fugg it and pop started it, well after it started it, there was a high pitch chatter that we figured was the throwout bearing. Well i drove 20 feet down the road, stopped at a redlight on delaware avenue, pressed the clutch in, and it wouldnt come out. It stopped halfway. So i hit the gas and it was slipping like a muther. With my friend behind me doing about 40 mph at 5,000rpm, cluthc was smoking. MY buddy behind me called me and said , 'is it okay that there are fireballs falling from underneath your car" Yep the clutch was dripping out from under neath the car, Well after about 20 miles it finally quit and we towed the car home down state road with a strap and a pickup truck. :jaw: So I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU LAUNCH YOUR CAR ON SLICKS WITH A STOCK SUSPENSION, you can still use them just leave at an idle, thats what i did and i was cutting 1.8 60' and running 13.8 on a stock gt.

I really hope your kidding about the rev limiter launches with the stock suspension. Yeah i thought oh it will be fine, everybody on stangnet does it and they dont break stuff. yeah hello.

I wish i had pictures to show what happened to my 88 gt with 4000 rpm launches on slicks on the street. Cracked block,broke ears oft the starter, cracked bellhousing right in half,snapped u joint at the front yolk which resulted in driveshaft putting a nice hole in the floor, hmmm what else happened, throw out bearing became misaligned with the brokend bellhousing, so after i put an driveshaft on, on the side of oregon avenue in philadelphia at 4 am , it still wouldnt drive right. We jacked up the car after waiting 4 hours for a friend to bring his spare driveshaft, and popped ont he new shaft, go to start it and the starter just went grrrrrrr.zzzzzzzz. i was like wtf, and then i noticed that the starter was just loosely laying inside the bellhousing and the ears were bolted the bell housing and broken off the starter. Then we said fugg it and pop started it, well after it started it, there was a high pitch chatter that we figured was the throwout bearing. Well i drove 20 feet down the road, stopped at a redlight on delaware avenue, pressed the clutch in, and it wouldnt come out. It stopped halfway. So i hit the gas and it was slipping like a muther. With my friend behind me doing about 40 mph at 5,000rpm, cluthc was smoking. MY buddy behind me called me and said , 'is it okay that there are fireballs falling from underneath your car" Yep the clutch was dripping out from under neath the car, Well after about 20 miles it finally quit and we towed the car home down state road with a strap and a pickup truck. :jaw: So I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU LAUNCH YOUR CAR ON SLICKS WITH A STOCK SUSPENSION, you can still use them just leave at an idle, thats what i did and i was cutting 1.8 60' and running 13.8 on a stock gt.

Wow. That really sucks. Well I know what i'm NEVER going to do... Thanks for the insight.

Ummm, stock suspension rev limiter launches for the past 4 years and never broke anything here.

Finally broke an axle and the carrier last event with some ranger axles and slicks.

I understand thats your story, but definately does not happen to everyone!

Yeah, there was some other issue there. Plenty of people launch these cars extremely hard without big problems, especially when they're stock motored. It doesn't have enough power to break much. You basically HAVE to launch off the limiter with good tires to keep it from bogging. But, it doesn't seem like I'll be testing this out. I tried flipping the quad shocks tonight, and didn't have the proper tools, all my big metric wrenches are at work. So I guess I'll be running it on street tires, kinda sucks.