Storage of M/T slicks over winter to prevent dryrot?

purevenm

May 27, 2005
What is the best way to store drag slicks for about a year while the car gets worked over? M/T slicks are mounted on pony wheels. I have heard in a basement in a large plastic bag. I know there are some drag racers in here and would like their input. I'm trying to prevent dry rotting!!!

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

ive always throw mine in the shed, full of air, laying which ever way it lands when I throw it. Had em for 6 years now with no rot what-so-ever but plan on getting new tires next season cause they are 6 years old regardless.

If you do anything more than this, plan on your slicks lasting 10+ years if you dont wear them out before than. :)

Ok,
I also have an expensive set(4) of Goodyear F1 GSD3's that are mounted on 95 cobra R's. They are in need of storing and they are practically brand new. Any tips on storing these tires over the next 7 to 8 months.

My thought is should I spray anything on them prior to placing them into bags? Like some kind of tire dressing to keep the rubber oily or moist. I have almost $900 in this set of goodyears and they have about 1000 miles on them. So it would kill me to pull them out in a year or more and find them with dry rot and cracks!!!!!

I was told by a Michelin engineer that the best thing to use to "store" tire rubber is vegetable oil. Said it is better than anything else to mimic the chemical makeup of the tire.

He did not, however, specify whether to use "lite", canola, peanut or any other. ;) Hahahahahahaha!

reddy351 said:
I was told by a Michelin engineer that the best thing to use to "store" tire rubber is vegetable oil. Said it is better than anything else to mimic the chemical makeup of the tire.

He did not, however, specify whether to use "lite", canola, peanut or any other. ;) Hahahahahahaha!
That seems like that after a while, it would penetrate ths surface, and I cant see oil soaked tires beeing good for traction.

There is oil already in rubber. Leave a tire on your basement floor and come back in a few months. There will be an oily ring on the concrete. (Open pore concrete sucks the oil out of rubber.)
I would feel really weird putting it (veg oil) on the tread area. Tread doesn't usually dry rot anyway.

reddy351 said:
There is oil already in rubber. Leave a tire on your basement floor and come back in a few months. There will be an oily ring on the concrete. (Open pore concrete sucks the oil out of rubber.)
I would feel really weird putting it (veg oil) on the tread area. Tread doesn't usually dry rot anyway.
The tread is the same as the side wall. The reason the dont dryrot is becasue they actually get worn down some.

And I know they are made from oil, but adding more of a different type just seems like it would do more bad than good once you went to use them.

I say throw them in your basement where it wont be viable to extreme temps and your golden. How long do people want these tires to last in reality!??!? After 5-6 years, I'd be worried about racing on them anyways, even if i did "properly" store them. I keep my slicks mounted, all year round, outside in the elements, with full air pressure, and NOTHING is wrong with them. Basically if you take them off the car, you're doing 75% better than i am and I have no problems.

I don't believe there is any tricks here, throw the tires in your basement and have a good night sleep.