Stories that make you shake your head....

TIGGER

Founding Member
Mar 6, 2000
Portland, OR
I was at a local swapmeet on Sunday. As I was walking thru the cars for sale I spotted a Shelby Cobra project on a trailer. The owner was talking to some guy. I over heard them talking in mid conversation. The other guy said in 1974 he drove his Shelby (I assume Mustang) off some boat dock into the Columbia River (a local river here in town). The owner asked if he ever pulled it out. The guy said no, it is still down there :( He said he hit a boulder and creamed the left side so he didn't feel it was worth the effort :nonono: The owner responds back and said he knows of three 60's Vette's down there as well. What gives with these people :shrug: After that I walked off, :nonono: my head.

• Sponsors (?)

You should have beaten them up! Who in his right mind gives up on a Shelby?

However, here is a different Shelby story, with a different twist.

Here in Norway, there is 10 '69 Shelbys. However, only 9 cars. The tenth was a GT500 that was imported in 1986. But shortly after getting it, the owner backed out of the garage, with the drivers door open. So the door had to be replaced, and it was with a regular Mustang door. In 1988, this GT500 was stolen, and never seen again (Probably destroyed). But the original Shelby door is still around, (owned by a collector) and it has the body tag, so the Shelby is still "alive".

Remember, these were just used cars back then.

If someone drone a 2001 Camaro SS into the river, nobody would get that worked up about it. But 25 years from now? Who knows?

My last boss bought a 64 289 cobra used in 1970 for $3000.

Well, remember, we all have an uncle or a cousin who had a GT500 Super Bee convertible with an LT-200 Boss Crossfire injected motor and a turbo-torqueflight 6 speed C4 tranny that would do 160 in third gear. And they wrecked it racing agains Carroll Shelby in his titanium GE turbojet super Cobra that only 3 people have actually even seen. And he's got pictures of it . . . somewhere . . . that he can never find :D

If there was a Shelby down there. SOMEBODY would have at least yanked the plates.

If they haven't already :).

D Durden said:
Well, remember, we all have an uncle or a cousin who had a GT500 Super Bee convertible with an LT-200 Boss Crossfire injected motor and a turbo-torqueflight 6 speed C4 tranny that would do 160 in third gear. And they wrecked it racing agains Carroll Shelby in his titanium GE turbojet super Cobra that only 3 people have actually even seen. And he's got pictures of it . . . somewhere . . . that he can never find :D

If there was a Shelby down there. SOMEBODY would have at least yanked the plates.

If they haven't already :).

when i lived in austin, i good friend of mine, pulled a newer (at the time) mercedes out of lake travis. the lady that owned it had apparently forgot to ste the parking brake while she was on the lakeway boat ramp and down the car rolled and rolled, it ended up in about 75 feet of water. he and another guy were able to get it pulled out a few weeks later, then they took the thing apart and let it dry out reall good and sold it for salvage, they made like 5 grand on it. not a bad deal really. so that stuff does happen.

Not a ford, but my dad has a corvette sitting in a barn in north georgia that he never bothers to go get because "Well, I don't know how I'd get it down here."

So it's been sitting there litterally for about 25 years. He won it in a poker game in the 70s.

I frequently tell him, umm dad WE CAN RENT A TRAILER! But he's to stubborn to listen.

skywalker said:
Not a ford, but my dad has a corvette sitting in a barn in north georgia that he never bothers to go get because "Well, I don't know how I'd get it down here."

So it's been sitting there litterally for about 25 years. He won it in a poker game in the 70s.

I frequently tell him, umm dad WE CAN RENT A TRAILER! But he's to stubborn to listen.

tell him I will play him a hand of Texas Hold em for $1000 or the title to the vette.

:D

kind of off topic, but this story will REALLY make you shake your head....

I am probably the only person at my school that knows more than "this is where gas goes in, big rims are cool" about cars, so sometimes I show off a little.

I had to bring a cam to school with me to give to a friend after work that day so I decided to show this rice boy what a cam looked like. first thing he said to me was "too bad its not chrome plated, then it would be mad tight" and then a little later in this ignorant conversation he goes "that cam is tiny, you need to bore out your engine so you can put a bigger cam in there, that would be so tight, youd have so much horsepower". i just stared at him, put my cam back in my trunk, and walked away.

Max Power said:
Remember, these were just used cars back then.

If someone drone a 2001 Camaro SS into the river, nobody would get that worked up about it. But 25 years from now? Who knows?

My last boss bought a 64 289 cobra used in 1970 for $3000.

I can break your hearts, where should I start? I sold my 69 428 mach 1 for 850 bux, I sold my 70 351 mach 1 fo 1500 bux, I sold my 69 400 goat for 900 bux, I could go on, but you get the point, all 3 of those cars were perfect, and I sold them for what they were worth. If I wrecked any one of them they wold have gone to the boneyard, they weren't worth anything and they were everywhere.Hell I bought my wife a 71 302 3 speed coupe in 73 off the Ford Lot for 1500 bux. It had 25000 miles on it.