Storing my Mustang...What to do?

bdp55

Jun 14, 2006
Hey Guys, Just a few questions on what the best route is to store my Mustang for a long period of time. I'm headed out of state this August for Law School and my car will be parked for at least a year (possibly three depending on how often I get back home). I wish I could take it with me but the fewer distractions the better!! I could possibly have my brother fire it up and drive it around every now and then if necessary but would much rather just let it sit if possible (I don't trust anybody with it when I'm 2000 miles away). What do I need to do so that the engine, supercharger, tires, etc. remain in good condition. Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

This was in an issue of 5.0:

I found this in the April 07 issue of 5.0 Mustangs and Superfords, and they pulled it from www.musclecarclub.com.

1. Get your stang out of the elements! No amount of precautions will protect a car that is stored outside where the sun, rain, or snow will beat on it day in and day out. Put it under a canopy or keep it in the garage.

2. Keep the fuel fresh. When gasoline sits, it can break down and form gum and varnish, clogging a fuel system. Any moisture left can cause rust. The solution: add a container of fuel stabilizer to the gas tank, then fill it to the top before putting the vehicle into storage. The short drive home from the gas station will circulate the stabilized fuel throughout the system, keeping the gas fresh and the system safe until your Mustang is ready to ride again.

3. Don't let the cooling system freeze during the winter. Drain the system--including the radiator--and refill it with rust-inhibiting antifreeze.

4. It's important to remove acid, moisture, and other contaminants from an engine bu changing the oil and filter before putting a vehicle to sleep for a period of time. It's okay to use the same viscosity oil as usual, as long as it contains corrosion protection.

5. Avoid flat-spotting the tires. A 'stang that sits for a long time can ruin a set of radial tires. The best way to save your car's expensive tires is to store it on jackstands, or even remove the wheels and tires altogether. Another option is to let some air out, reducing the strain on the shocks and other suspension components.

6. Keep the battery alive. When a battery loses its charge over time, it can freeze and explode. To avoid a dangerous mess, hook up a battery charger/maintainer, which will keep it properly charged, no matter how long the mustang sits.

7. Protect the paint. Give the 'stang a good washing before it's put away to remove any road salt or grunge. Be sure to dry it thoroughly, too. Then apply a protective coat of wax. Finally, slip on a breatheable cloth car cover. Plastic covers will trap condensation, providing a fertile breeding ground for rust.

8. Check the insurance. Just because your Pony is undriven doesn't mean liability coverage is unnecessary. What if someone pushes the car and it winds up rolling down the driveway into the neighbor's brand-new SUV? Collision and theft coverage is important, too.

9. Prevent rust. Unpainted metal surfaces, from engine parts to tailpipes, can use a good coat of rust inhibitor.

10. Protect vinyl, leather, and rubber. If the car will be stored in a dry climate, it's wise to apply a preservative to prevent seats, armrests, and dashpads from cracking.

11. Provide critter protection. All kinds of animals like to much on wiring, seats, and carpet, and they think cars make a nice den. To keep critters out, place mothballs in the interior, including under the dash, and cover the tailpipe. Or, for total protection, store your pride and joy inside a durable cocoon that seals it completely from the elements.

12. Store convertibles with the top up. Convertible tops can shrink if they are left in the down position for an extended period of time.

If it was me I would just let someone drive it a couple of times a week.
Keep track of the milage in case they go cross country or something.
That way you circulate all the fluids, keep the engine parts coated with oil,
dont have to worry about the gas going bad, or flat spots on the tires.

number 5 is incorrect, radial tires made now days will not flatspot and it will actually be worse to store the car on jackstands because the suspension needs load or you could ruin certain parts. Everything else seems good though:nice: