Straightening a differential??? WTF?

Blk01gt_

Founding Member
Sep 1, 2001
winnipeg, canada
I hit a curb with my GT, and the shop originally told me the diff. is bent and will need to be replaced with a new unit.

Now they are saying that they will take it somewhere to be straightened? WTF? Is it possible to straighten a diff and have it be good as new?

Im not sure if the insurance company told them to do this or if the shop decided thus on their own. Is it going to be ok if they "straighten" it? What do you guys think i should do?

Thanks for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

I've never heard of a differential being "bent". If it is bent, then you really did some serious damage to your rear end and chances are, the whole axle assembly will need to be replaced. Personally, I think their handing you some BS. If the differential is damaged, spend the extra 200(approx.) dollars and get a new one just to be on the safe side.

thats what they said, they were gonna replace the whole axle assembly.

all they told me was "the diff. housing is bent"

so i asked wtf is a diff. housing, is it just the pumpkin thing?

he didnt really give me much of an answer and just said they would have to repalace the whole rear end assembly

But i just dont understand how they suddenly think it can be "straightened", after telling me the whole unit needs replacement. LIke you said, if something is "bent", who knows what else it damaged in it.

I would think that your control arms would bend or your tourqe boxes befor your diff housing. Infact I'm 99% sure. The diff being out of align with the center of your car is referd to as your thrust line being out of line. They pull diffs out of wrecked cars all the time and they're not bent. I would try another shop.

It's being done through insurance, so I dont know if i can just "get a second opinion"

But i took it to a local ford dealer..thinking they would know what they're doin to a ford. Maybe the dealer was a bad choice?

They probably meant that one of the tubes is bent. Its no big deal they can be straightened with no problems. The only thing you have to worry about is if the axle itself is bent if it is make sure they are replacing it.

I used to work in a shop that specialized in rebuilding differentials, transmissions etc we used to straighten 15 to 20 axle tubes a month. These wer on everything from big arse dana semi housings to the most common 8.8 inch fords. It is a common practice just let them take care of it.

sl03gt said:
I would think that your control arms would bend or your tourqe boxes befor your diff housing. Infact I'm 99% sure. The diff being out of align with the center of your car is referd to as your thrust line being out of line. They pull diffs out of wrecked cars all the time and they're not bent. I would try another shop.
The axle tube itself will bend before the control arms or torque boxes will. You are right ther eis no way in hell you are going to bend the housing itself.