Strange intermittent exhaust popping.

Kurtis

Jul 4, 2003
I start up my GT, it drives fine for a few minutes. Then, all of a sudden, it feels like 50 gallons of gas gets poured directly into the engine. There is HEAVY lagging, and if I do any more than feather the gas, I get multiple popping noises (not loud enough to be backfires, I think). This lasts for no more than a minute or two, and then presto, perfectly back to normal.

The only codes are for the air pump, which I removed a while back. It caused the same problem a few years ago, which magically went away. Not sure if anyone can verify this, but here’s what I think is going on: With no air pump, there’s not enough air when the computer expects it to be there. The computer doesn’t detect the absence of air, so continues to dump the usual amount of fuel that would compensate for it, as if it were still there…hence the problem.

Here’s what I’m running with:

-stock 5.0L engine (pretty sure timing isn’t advanced/reduced)
-BBK Cold-air intake (in fender)
-C&L 76mm MAF
-BBK l/t headers
-Dr. Gas o/r X-pipe
-new IAC
-new EGR and sensor
-MSD 6AL Ignition
-MSD Pro-Billet Distributor

I hope I’m not wasting space, but I really wanted to know if there was a way to fix this without putting the air pump back in. I do not wish to get rid of my x-pipe (it does not have an inlet for the air pump to exhaust pipe tube). I know there's lots of threads about backfiring/exhaust popping, but I was unable to find one that deals with intermittant occurance. I found one, but there was answer. Help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Someone posted pretty much the exact same problem a few down. This one can be deleted.

• Sponsors (?)