strange transmission noises

2 probably unrelated issues here... wondering if anyone has experienced them or can shed some light on what's going on.

Got about 20k miles on my viper T56 with spec stg 2+ clutch, steeda adjustable cable, fiore micro-click adjuster set up. I've been encountering 2 strange noises. First, and probably least important, sometimes when I depress the clutch pedal, it creaks. More like a popping noise as the clutch moves down. It might pop 3 or 4 times traveling from fully engaged to the floor. If I am holding it to the floor, let up a little, and push back down, the instant I start to move back down, it makes the popping noise. I imagine it's just wear and tear on the pedal itself, but thought I would throw that out there and see if anyone knows what it could be or how it could be fixed.

The other noise seems a little more serious. It comes from the transmission itself (sounds/feels like from right in front of the shifter). Say I'm sitting at a red light, and it turns green, and I move to get rolling quickly. Give it a good bit of gas and let off the clutch fairly quickly - not quickly enough to spin the tires or anything... kind of half way between bogging and spinning them (not something I try to do regularly, but it happens sometimes and has been causing this noise). When I do this, I hear this nasty squeaking/squealing noise coming from below and in front of the shifter, and the shifter handle vibrates or even feels like the entire transmission turns a little towards the driver (as in spinning around the same axis as the driveshaft).

Anyone have any ideas? I've been into Mustangs for a while, and have trolled these boards and others for years, and haven't heard of anything like this. Any help is much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm thinking I'm having the same noise when letting off the clutch pedal from a stop. Earlier today I had to back my car up in reverse and when gently letting off the clutch, for a split second it gave this high-pitched "err", sort of similar to tires when turning at a high speed. It's noticable from the outside too. I'm thinking the clutch is going bad but wanted to know for sure.

BTW, how would you guys know when the motor/tranny mounts are going bad? What should I look for when driving and from when I go to open up the hood? sorry, don't mean to jack your thread.

No problem, sounds like the same kind of info I'm looking for.

That's what I suspected in the back of my mind but was really hoping it wasn't. How hard of a thing is that to check and fix? Will I be able to tell if the mounts are bad just by looking at them?

Edit: Just realized... a few days ago i found my left exhaust tip bent in towards the middle of the car. I just grabbed it and pulled it out and it bent itself back, but it felt like the bend was way under the car. Just checked again and it seems like it's starting to bend itself back. I guess this could be caused by the transmission pushing on it.

No problem, sounds like the same kind of info I'm looking for.

That's what I suspected in the back of my mind but was really hoping it wasn't. How hard of a thing is that to check and fix? Will I be able to tell if the mounts are bad just by looking at them?

Edit: Just realized... found my left exhaust tip bent in towards the middle of the car. I just grabbed it and pulled it out and it bent itself back, but it felt like the bend was way under the car. Just checked again and it seems like it's starting to bend itself back. I guess this could be caused by the transmission pushing on it.

wooo hooo i nailed it :D

if the mounts were bad you would definatlely notice more shake than normal. you may or may not be able to see if the mounts are cracked. sometimes they may be visibly damaged, but if you are feeling some serious shaking then i would get them checked. at least bring it somewhere to see what a trusted mechanic says it is.