strange turbo noise

BELL

Founding Member
Feb 21, 2002
California
Look I took the airbox out of the 86 black svo put on a nice and large cone filter. now it sounds really wierd. the spool is so LOUD and makes a very strange noise when i shift under boost. this engine dosnt have a bypass valve. but my 84 svo has a 65mm throttle body and a big valve head all that crap and sounds totally different then this one. i'm stumped. is the noise i'm hearing air turbulance from the filter to VAM, to the turbo. dunno i'm stumped. it almost sounds like i have huge tear in a IC host but i checked, none. to a degree it almost sounds like a bearing noise but before i did this it was fine...

• Sponsors (?)

to a degree i wanna say it sounds like compressor surge, it has a squeel to it on spool almost like a bearing noise or a split ic hose. i'm gonna let it cool down a bit before i check. is it possible i could have gone to large of a filter i think its a kn re 0920 its about 8 in long and a 3 1/2in diameter

thats what i was thinking, it goes out of the vam to a 30 degree abs 3in elbow. thats all. if there happend to be an air pocket in the turbo feed line would that be enough to toast the bearings in the turbo?

I doubt that it would damage anything unless A LOT of air somehow got into the line while in the middle of a 22psi blast. The air would blow through pretty fast once it got to the bearings and even idling the car for 30sec probably would it clear it.

i put a k&n filter on my svo and it did the same noise. it spools fast as hell now. the noise hasnt lead to any problems. and if you run a recirculation line back before the turbo the noise will go away. that sound is just a surge. it would be smart to hook up a BOV too. that would stop the noise and would increase turbo life. you can just vent a hose off the intake after the turbo to the atmosphere and it will sound like a BOV! it pretty much does the same thing and turbo lag will dramatically decrease.