strangest engine problem ever!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Check the oil return passages in the driver's side head. If the oil return passages clog or are obstructed, the oil will pile up the the valve cover and start to leak past the valve guides.

is it a new motor? when i rebuilt my engine i left some oil in the cylinders so nothing would rust in the bores and forgot about it and when i started it up the first time all the left over oil in the cylinders burned off making my plugs fouled, i had to clean them with some gas and a wire brush.

What's the history of the heads ? Are they fresh from the manufacturer or could they have changed hands a time or two ? Was any work done on the heads? At any rate I would call the place you bought them from or the manufacturer if they are still in waranty. Sounds like the valve seals / guides on one head have a problem.

Keep in mind that 5.0 head gaskets don't have a top or bottom side. However, they do have Front stamped on the gasket. No matter which side you put the gasket on, the Front has to be in the front to keep from blocking passages.

Not to over simplify, but the oil either has to come from the heads down or from the pistons up. With that low of mileage it's not likely the oil came from the pistons up, especially one whole side and not the other. Just curious, what kind of heads ? At the risk of sounding repetitive I think I would call the company and send 'em back if there is any kind of waranty.

RHS 200 cast iron heads....I have pulled some springs and the seals are tight....could this come from the pcv system?

I suppose you're right, that could be another source, but unless you changed something to do with the PVC system would you not have had the same problem before ? Can you tell by looking at the oil path if it seems to be ahead of the valve guide area ? Did you keep the original valve covers and just remove the baffle ? Lots of people do that with no problems, but maybe some do have problems. Check your PVC screen and make sure it's not clogged (clean / replace as needed).

The changes made were heads and intake...everything else stayed the same. It didn't start right away....it very slowly started...and its only at idle...as soon as I rev it up and hold it up there there is no smoke.

Did you do a compression test or leakdown before you pulled the motor apart? Still could be the seals, guides etc and really wouldn't be uncommon.

Do a simple fluid test and put some rubbing alcohol down each port and see if it leaks past the valve. It is not a perfect test but would find a major head/seat issue quick, the proper way is to vacuum test each port to make sure it is not leaking past the seat.

What type of seals come of the RHS heads?

I didn't catch the new intake part until now. Did the new intake come with a baffle under the PVC valve area ? If not it could be sucking oil there through the PVC valve, and there would probably be oil in the intake. If it sucks oil at idle (when the vacuum is high) that is a strong indication that it's pulling oil past the valve seals.

FOUND THE PROBLEM...photos!!!!!

pulled the intake valves and look at all the oil i found under the seal...guides are worn a little.

valve1.jpg

valve2.jpg

valve3.jpg