STREET RACERS PLEASE READ THIS

jlisle01

Dec 29, 2004
McAlester,OK
I hate to be a party pooper but here goes.

On Jan. 28th my brother in law was out driving, lost control of his car, crossed the center median and hit a SUV going the other way on the interstate. His car, an '04 GTO, was ripped in half and he was ejected from the car despite the fact that he was using his seat belt. He was killed. The woman in the SUV is in critical condition and my brother in law has left behind a wife and two kids. My sister in law, whom I love dearly, is completely devastated. The local media is reporting all kind of things, some true and some not, including that he was racing at the time.

Of course, as soon as things were figured out half the family called me to read me the riot act. You see, he and I were a lot alike. Both car guys, both racing fans, both with nitrous equipped hot rod cars. Kind of like some of you guys here on stangnet.

Now I know we've all done it and I know that absolutely no one is going to remember this post more than twenty minutes after they read it but I have to say it anyway. High speed driving, high powered cars, and public roads are a bad mix. DON'T DO IT! Next time you think about showing someone what your car will do, take a minute and think about your wife, your kids, your friends, your whatever. I'm not going to cry if you lose your life, but someone will. Think of them.

• Sponsors (?)

I am sorry for your loss but to lash out against all people you think are "street racers" is fruitless. Somebody getting "a little rubber leaving the intersection" is hardly a danger compared to somethings. If you want to champion a motor vehicle related cause... why don't you plead for people on here not to drink and drive? Or increase the driving age to 20... after all statistics show alcohol and young drivers cause more fatalities than "street racing."

All bad news, and sorry to hear it.

I'm assuming since the topic is geared toward street racers, he was racing at the time. Or was he just out puttin the car through the paces alone? You weren't clear in the initial post.

I'm not really sure exactly what happened and the guy who knows for sure is gone. He was traveling in convoy with a couple of people and I think he just got on it a little. His wife was at the back of the group and she got to watch him go off the road and get killed. Hell of a thing.

And for the record, I was counting myself in the group. I'm about as safe a driver as you can find, but even I've gotten on it a couple of times. I didn't want to champion a cause I just wanted to see something good come of this.

All he was saying by this post is be careful. He NOT ONCE pointed anyone out as a street racer by name. Only titled it street racers please read.
Sorry about your loss buddy.

Sorry to hear about you and your families tragic loss:( No matter how you lose a loved one, it is ever easy.

Eventhough this was addressed to street racers, I didn't take it as a personal attack eventhough at times I'm guilty of driving over the speed limit. Heck, just about everywhere I go on the interstate, I get "run over" even when travelling at 10 over the posted speed limit! Our society is fast paced as it is and the addition of high performance vehicles and momentary lack of respect/judgement at times has too many times been a deadly mix. I know how easy it is to get caught up in emotion and "race" somebody on a public street be it from a dead stop or at speed. The tragic thing about us humans is that it seems to take a close tragic event for us to finally realize that the actions we take are not the best ones.

Once again, I'm truely sorry about your loss.

Thanks guys, I've met lots of great people through cars. On forums, at car shows and HPDEs and autocrosses, car guys just seem to be a good group of people everywhere I go. He was one of them. Maybe some good will come of the whole thing. I sincerely apologize to anyone who feels offended. I just don't want to read on the forum or hear on the news about anyone getting killed for something so stupid. I think a lot of us have become a little detuned to the kind of power these cars have today. It's suppose to be fun, isn't it? Can't be much fun when you're dead.

That sucks the biggest suck man. I hate when I hear people getting hurt or hurting others or worse in relation to cars.

These damn things are like crack. I am guilty of pushing my ride too far on the streets as much as the next guy I might judge. I tell myself over and over "stop it. grow up." But lure to unleash is a strong one.

What sucks is I know one day I am doomed to finally cure myself of the addiction only via tragedy. As much as I don't want it to happen. I have come so close at least two times before. Luckily for others it would have been only myself that I would have destroyed.

We need a 12-Step program.