Street Size Turbo?

• Sponsors (?)

im not really sure how to answer this....

not to be an E-douche, but what exactly is streetable to you? whats the combo? whats the plan for the car?

it isnt as simple as "big turbo go on big motor, little turbo go on little motor"

Reactions: 1 user
im not really sure how to answer this....

not to be an E-douche, but what exactly is streetable to you? whats the combo? whats the plan for the car?

it isnt as simple as "big turbo go on big motor, little turbo go on little motor"

The question was more of a, whats a good entry level turbo kit for a street car, 250 300hp

I have an On3 kit and im very happy with it...i make more then the stock block can handle its tuned for a little under 500 rwhp and torque....But is cable on going past that 500 HP easy....;)

your gonna hate anything over 76mm for the street. I've been running the 93 coupe with a HP 60 kit for 13 years and 30k miles driven, the car made 511 rwhp and 622 ft.lbs. trq.@ 10 #s of boost fully spooled at 3k rpms. The 84 is running twin 57 trims, still working on the combo with it but it went 574 rwhp @ 4600 rpms where we floated the valves on 13 #'s boost, new springs are getting put in as we speak also trying a new lower and upper intake combo. Anyway both of the cars spool quickly and pull like a frieght train.

Mine is a 70mm .68 A/R i run 14 psi... mine spools really fast..No lag at all...almost like instant boost...I drive the car almost everyday to work drives like stock until you hit the go pedal...lol

Rules of engagement:

If you're familiar with turbo systems and something useful to add to this thread then by all means, add it.

I know for a fact we have folks here that can answer this question. I also know we have a lot of folks who have NO CLUE where to even begin to install a turbo but like to run their E-Mouthes, like it's their job.

If you're one of the former and have some real hands-on experience to give this thread, then please do. Otherwise... The Squeeky Wheel is thatta-way. :notnice:

Thread moved to technical forum

Vaz88GT Please excuse the knuckle draggers. Good luck with your project! :nice:

Not a fan of On3. I've done a lot of research, had 2 turbo combos in fox-bodies, and stay immersed in the turbo forums online. I've seen too many people with catastrophic engine failures complaining that On3's cheap parts led to the failure, and so many others saying that they did not stand behind their product. Some of the guys who seem to know what they are doing often replaced many of On3's cheap parts with a little of their own fabrication to ensure longevity. The comments in this paragraph are likely to get some On3 die-hards upset and will probably be flamed. I'm not disputing the fact that the kits have worked for some people, but there's also no disputing the fact that they haven't worked for others, and there was a significant amount of issues associate with both the company and the kits. To me, going with an On3 kit without knowing exactly what you're doing is the same as rolling the dice. That's my opinion, and I'm sure others are likely to trash it with their "experience" and attempt to start another war that's already been fought several hundred times about this company. I will not participate in further discussion regarding On3 or its products... I'm just giving you fair warning... do your research before buying this company's products.

Now to answer your question, I'm going to make a lot of assumptions since you didn't give enough information in your original post. I'm assuming you're still running a stockish 302, you have a daily driver or something that will remain in the ballpark of a daily driver, you don't know much about turbos (why else would you be asking the question), you want a budget friendly setup, and you're looking for something that most would consider fun on the street as opposed to all out performance (aka $).

Quick lesson: as far as street manners go, it doesn't matter what size the turbo is. Your cam, tune, and basic induction components will determine how smooth the car is, how easily it starts, fuel mileage, idle, etc... The sizing will only dictate how quickly, in reference to RPM, the turbo will spool, and how much power it CAN make in total.

Any stock block is limited to about 500 rwhp before it may split like an egg down the lifter valley. The internals don't matter. That being the case, turbos that are large enough to make more power than that efficiently are a waste. They will spool more slowly than other available turbos and thus will not be as much fun on the street. So, my recommendation would be to find a modern single turbo that is larger than 60mm and smaller than or equal to 70mm. While 70s are overkill, you can also get a really reliable 70mm turbo at a great price from master power. If you're going with twins, any GT28 series or larger turbo will both spool quickly and make block splitting power levels.

Good luck!

I have read all those posts about ON3 too...on turbo forums...I like my kit...the shop that did my install has done a bunch...They seem to like them...Yes they are a cheaper kit...but for the money there great...Im just under 500 rwhp thats were i had them tune it easily can make way more then that ...Im on a stock block...so i know its has limits....Is the car fast yes...will it hold up only time will tell....