Progress Thread Street/strip 427w In A Gt Hatch- Slow Progress

Yeah I'm with you on the microbeer thing(even though not a bud fan either lol) I just stick to bourbon/gin/etc and the occasional Coors light(I know I know). Panels are looking good Chuck.

• Sponsors (?)

Welp, no progress today. House a/c decided to take a crap (which means about $4k for a new one, man I want out of this house), and now they're pouring a new slab in the road at the end of my driveway and I can't even get out of the subdivision in time to go get supplies.

What dat?

Home service appliance and HVAC warranty and repair companies. Well worth it.. You pay a monthly or annual service fee and tHey will come out and at no charge repair your appliances, plumbing, A/C or if they cannot repair it replace it with new. I have used them on every rental property and even the homes I own. Saved me thousands of dollars. I currently use ECM on my primary and rental property. Cost me about $120 a month. In the last year they have repaired the washer, dryer, microwave, and two toilets at zero cost to me other than the monthly service contract- which is about the cost of one repair call.

http://www.ecmservice.com/

https://www.serviceamerica.com/

Reactions: 1 user
Time to update this (finally). Not a whole lot of progress on the car itself, but some developments, and since I have nothing else to really do today and it's less than 90 degrees outside, hopefully I'll have more by the end of the day.

Biggest news is finally selling my parents place after dumping about $7k into it and getting a place of my own again, this one MUCH more suited to a car hobby. Garage went from 18'6"x19' to 20'x26', no more annoying 7' high loft over half the garage (9' ceilings) and it's already completely drywalled (though some needs to be redone, and the whole thing tapped/mudded/painted, but that can wait till fall/winter/spring).

Quick photo tour from last Sunday after spending a few weekends getting things in place:

IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG

First official car project: no not the fox :( truck need a well-deserved oil change (note to Ford engineers- STOP PUTTING THE OIL FILTER DIRECTLY OVER A CROSSMEMBER!!!!!)

IMG_0224.JPG

With that done (and cleaning up the quart or so of oil that poured from the filter boss that missed the "funnel" on the above mentioned crossmember), its time to start actually making mustang progress again :banana:

Or at least so I thought. Got a little grinding done:
IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG

Started laying out the other Scott Rod panels, and found a few "issues," first being this section of the frame was buckled out a bit (some may remember, this car got hit in the front on this corner when some assbag decided to run a red left turn light about 6 months after I bought it), a few taps with the bfh and the panel sits mostly flush now (and yes, I'm still learning the welder so its ugly, but at least it all sticks together)
IMG_0225.JPG

IDK what the hell caused this though, the other side is straight so.....:shrug:
IMG_0226.JPG

With the new panel just sitting in you can really tell how bend that "rail" is, I'm sure the bfh will take car of it again though.
IMG_0227.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
I started going back and adding some more tacks to panels that are already in, but ran into a small snag (more of an annoyance really) with my welding setup, this is basically how I also had it setup in the old place, and with this garage being so long now it makes the setup even more awkward and to get even to the front of the strut towers with the gun means there's barely standing room between the car and the bench, so a quick trip to harbor freight for a $35 welding cart (not my favorite place to shop, but I couldn't have build my own for the price). Oh, and i fully intend on trading out that baby-sized gas bottle for a man-sized one next time I empty it, I had space concerns in the old place and that little one was able to tuck under the bench pretty easy when not in use.
IMG_0230.JPG

Putting the cart together, I can see why it was so cheap: damn chinese can't even tap a nut on center :rolleyes:
IMG_0232.JPG

Oh well, should still hold my small welder, and if the need arises, hardware is easy to replace. Here it is all put together and ready to melt some metal together:
IMG_0233.JPG

Btw, the half hour or so putting that together was the most enjoyable amount of time I've had in months. Maybe I should find a career where all I have to do is assemble stuff while listening to tunes and drinking root beer? Think there's much money in that? No? Well damn :(

Anyway, I'm off now to get another can of weld-thru primer (thank goodness the new place is only 5 minutes from the good parts place vs 15-20 like the old one), and then ill be making some kind of sparks again.

Reactions: 2 users
I started going back and adding some more tacks to panels that are already in, but ran into a small snag (more of an annoyance really) with my welding setup, this is basically how I also had it setup in the old place, and with this garage being so long now it makes the setup even more awkward and to get even to the front of the strut towers with the gun means there's barely standing room between the car and the bench, so a quick trip to harbor freight for a $35 welding cart (not my favorite place to shop, but I couldn't have build my own for the price). Oh, and i fully intend on trading out that baby-sized gas bottle for a man-sized one next time I empty it, I had space concerns in the old place and that little one was able to tuck under the bench pretty easy when not in use.
IMG_0230.JPG

Putting the cart together, I can see why it was so cheap: damn chinese can't even tap a nut on center :rolleyes:
IMG_0232.JPG

Oh well, should still hold my small welder, and if the need arises, hardware is easy to replace. Here it is all put together and ready to melt some metal together:
IMG_0233.JPG

Btw, the half hour or so putting that together was the most enjoyable amount of time I've had in months. Maybe I should find a career where all I have to do is assemble stuff while listening to tunes and drinking root beer? Think there's much money in that? No? Well damn :(

Anyway, I'm off now to get another can of weld-thru primer (thank goodness the new place is only 5 minutes from the good parts place vs 15-20 like the old one), and then ill be making some kind of sparks again.
New place looks great, congrats on selling the old place/buying a new place. That garage looks like a good work place.and laid out pretty well. Your panels look good/if j can make a suggestion- turn your power down and your gas up a little

while it's stripped out are you going to address your tq boxes?
I know that is adding to the list, and the cage has already been mentioned.
Got a set of LRS reinforcements waiting to go on.
New place looks great, congrats on selling the old place/buying a new place. That garage looks like a good work place.and laid out pretty well. Your panels look good/if j can make a suggestion- turn your power down and your gas up a little
I've got my gas on full blast now (when the last welds were done that you see there , my gas actually ran out without me realizing it), will lower the heat some and see how it does, there's not a whole lot of adjustment there just a hi/low and 1/2 switch, not 100% sure of what does what specifically so any input there would be great.

Got a set of LRS reinforcements waiting to go on.

I've got my gas on full blast now (when the last welds were done that you see there , my gas actually ran out without me realizing it), will lower the heat some and see how it does, there's not a whole lot of adjustment there just a hi/low and 1/2 switch, not 100% sure of what does what specifically so any input there would be great.

I don't have a lot of experience with a Lincoln 120 welder, I do have Millers version,and it's pretty similar lol does your welder have the recommendation chart on the inside of the lid?
image.jpeg

I use the chart on my Miller as a base to set the machine at,and make power/wire speed adjustments with it until I get it welding the way I want.

@Boosted92LX could probably offer up some way better suggestions lol

Mine does have a similar chart
IMAG0079.jpg

I started at the settings for 22ga, since that's what the Scott Rod panels are, but it wasn't penetrating through the existing fender aprons and towers enough to actually hold without keeping the torch in one spot long enough to blow a hole through the new apron (just trying to tack every few inches so I don't warp the :poo: out of it)

Those settings are low-1 with a wire speed of 6, right now I'm at high-1 and 6.5 and can get a short bead going without too much issue if I can remember to hold it at the right angle (need more practice obviously). Maybe someone with more experience (@Boosted92LX or @hoopty5.0 both pop into my mind quickly) can make a good suggestion of where to go from there?

Anyway, got the towers and frame rails stripped and primed ready to weld, just came in for a bit to let it dry some (can says 20 minutes minimum, going to give it at least an hour since its about 80° and 80% humidity right now. Trying a new different weld-thru primer too, hopefully works better than the zinc stuff.
IMG_0235.JPG

Also took the c/c plates off since I kept getting way too close to them with the grinder, heres how it sits now
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Mine does have a similar chart
IMAG0079.jpg

I started at the settings for 22ga, since that's what the Scott Rod panels are, but it wasn't penetrating through the existing fender aprons and towers enough to actually hold without keeping the torch in one spot long enough to blow a hole through the new apron (just trying to tack every few inches so I don't warp the **** out of it)

Those settings are low-1 with a wire speed of 6, right now I'm at high-1 and 6.5 and can get a short bead going without too much issue if I can remember to hold it at the right angle (need more practice obviously). Maybe someone with more experience (@Boosted92LX or @hoopty5.0 both pop into my mind quickly) can make a good suggestion of where to go from there?

Anyway, got the towers and frame rails stripped and primed ready to weld, just came in for a bit to let it dry some (can says 20 minutes minimum, going to give it at least an hour since its about 80° and 80% humidity right now. Trying a new different weld-thru primer too, hopefully works better than the zinc stuff.
IMG_0235.JPG

Also took the c/c plates off since I kept getting way too close to them with the grinder, heres how it sits now
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG

With a MIG you have two settings to tune. Voltage (heat) and wire speed. You typpically set your heat, then tune in your wire speed.. In your case, the hi-lo switches being heat, the dial being wire speed. I was taught when I was welding for a living to set a mig by sound. When it's set correctly, it makes a high pitched "frying bacon" sound. In a perfect world, you set your machine up like that, then adjust your travel speed that you physically move to fine tune even more. This again, is perfect world scenario, and your machine obviously doesn't have infinitely adjustable voltage or heat.. So you might have to comprimise a little on set up to get it to behave.

Another thing...personally, I try to stay away from cheap migs, they can give experienced welders fits.. Not saying that's what you are working with, just my experience.

Oh, one more thing I can think of, it may actually be the "weld thru primer" giving you fits. Put a wrire wheel on your grinder and clean EVERYTHING off where you are welding. Paint over AFTER it cools. Contaminants are your enemy welding. The only thing you want in your puddle is filler wire.

Reactions: 1 users
2 things - it can't be clean enough. Period.

Also, before I started work with the mig or tig, I practiced on material of similar thickness to get the technique/settings down before doing what I needed to do.

Reactions: 1 user