Strengthing Rear End Questions

Nov 29, 2004
I am looking to upgrade the rear-end of my car so I can run M/T ET Streets this season. I have a few questions about what all I need, I know I need 31 spline axles, and 31 spline differential (I am going with a trac-lok). What all else is needed? How much can I expect to pay to have a shop install all this for me? I am looking to do this whole project on as tight a budget as possible.

One final question, anyone know of any good / relatively inexpensive shops in the metro-detroit area to call for a quote on installation?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah the labor should be in the $200-300 range if you only do the diff and axles. Other things to consider-torque box reinforcement,welding the axle tubes to the pumpkin(only if it can be done properly though!!),a new differential cover with jacking screws to hold the bearing caps in place. And if you don't already have them-new upper and lower control arms! Those are a must if you're using sticky tires!

I cut 1.69 to 170 60 fts all day long and have been for 4 years now with 410's and stock axels......I use a rear end girdle to help keep the diff planted tight.....I use the MT DR's also and used the FRPP bearing kit........As long as you are not dumping the clutch at 6000 and with MT DR's you should be fine............If you dump and run a full slick then I would run the whole set up.........

"ED"

I was getting 1.69 sixty footers with 3.73 gears and a girdle with lakewood uppers and lowers on a rearend that had 125,000 miles. Stock axels, 4cylinder springs. This was with m/t drag slicks launching at about 3,000 rpm. Just my 2 cents.