Stripe install cost?

blbrchnk

Oct 16, 2006
Bridgeport, WV
For those of you that have had your racing stripes over the top installed professionally, how much did it cost? I called two local places and both quoted me $200-$250 for the install alone if I provide the stripes. Mind you the stripes themselves are under $150. For some reason this seems rather high to me. If they know what they are doing, I am assuming it can't take more than 3-4 hours which breaks down to over $50/hr and to me that seems just a tad steep. I am probably wrong as I always am. I might just have to bite the bullet and pay it, because I don't think I have the patience to do it myself. It doesn't seem too hard, just tedious.

• Sponsors (?)

I know i over payed for mine, but they also gave me a 5 yr warranty. They will replace them when they get damaged from weather/road debris/bubbles/tears any damage at all and it was $650

dalylightstang002rr2.jpg

dalylightstang004wc2.jpg

99 light, I don't consider that overpriced, I call that piece of mind payment. A smart move at that.

blb, prices are all over the board, simply because shops do things within the price that make it different. I'd ask about what all they are including warranty wise, what is really covered ie, stone chips, peeling, fading.

I wouldn't look to break down the job in hourly rates either. Flat rates are flat rates for a reason and generally there is some underlying reason as to why it's done. Generally cost for overhead and things like that are input to your labor charge.

I'd get a little more info out of the place your using to see if theres an explanatin to the final cost. If you still feel like they are playing with you, get a second or third estimate. I personally feel your getting a fair price as long as some warranty is being supplied.

I have been quoted every price you posted here and beyond, done mine myself and threw in my own warranty. The only hard areas are the bumpers and roof if you simply use vinyl by the foot. If you have a kit that was made for you car, it will have all the contours cut into the application. Use lots of soap and water, or as we do it now rubbing alcohol instead, it will evaporate alot better and leave less bubbles and so forth.

I would seriously seriously recommend having it professionally installed. having watched the guys who installed mine for a little bit, i wold NEVER have been able to do it myself. there are all kinds of measurements that you need to take, all kinds of solutions you need to use, and you dont want to get bummed out if one of the stripes is a little off center...

I would seriously seriously recommend having it professionally installed. having watched the guys who installed mine for a little bit, i wold NEVER have been able to do it myself. there are all kinds of measurements that you need to take, all kinds of solutions you need to use, and you dont want to get bummed out if one of the stripes is a little off center...

Of course for the price that they charge, I could buy three sets of them and if I screw one up... oh well, remove and try again.

Mine came out nearly perfect, just a few minor flaws that can't be seen from more than a couple of feet away. It took me about 10 hours to do it in my garage. I had my wife help me put tape down the center of the car and help me remove the backing from the 4 big stripes (2 hood, 2 roof). The solution is easy, just water, alcohol, and dish soap. I'm pretty confident that is profesionally done I would have been able to find a few flaws too.

Mine came out nearly perfect, just a few minor flaws that can't be seen from more than a couple of feet away. It took me about 10 hours to do it in my garage. I had my wife help me put tape down the center of the car and help me remove the backing from the 4 big stripes (2 hood, 2 roof). The solution is easy, just water, alcohol, and dish soap. I'm pretty confident that is profesionally done I would have been able to find a few flaws too.

Do you have a tutorial that you used to do yours? I think I may give it a whirl myself. I hope to god it didn't take 10 hours straight (I assume there were some breaks/goofing off).

For those of you that have had your racing stripes over the top installed professionally, how much did it cost? I called two local places and both quoted me $200-$250 for the install alone if I provide the stripes. Mind you the stripes themselves are under $150. For some reason this seems rather high to me. If they know what they are doing, I am assuming it can't take more than 3-4 hours which breaks down to over $50/hr and to me that seems just a tad steep. I am probably wrong as I always am. I might just have to bite the bullet and pay it, because I don't think I have the patience to do it myself. It doesn't seem too hard, just tedious.

Hold out, bite the bullet and get them painted on.
The vinyls are big headaches from what I hear. Scrubbing bird doodies off can cause wear and be careful to leave the wax off, other flaws will be noticable by you and thats whats most important. They fade if not kept up.
Getting them painted on will cost a few bucks more but you will get show quality looks.

+1 for Baltimorestreetmods, Rob is great to deal with and quickly answers any questions you have. I would love to have had mine painted but I didn't have the money for that, and for $135 I think mine look pretty good. I get compliments all the time and when I say I did it myself people are always shocked becouse it looks so good.