stroke and setup question

quick question...well......maybe long

I've been planning on going with a DAILY DRIVER N/A 427 that will see the track maybe once a year. I don't plan on revving it all too high since the downlow torque will be nice enough. I was planning on CHPs 427 pro-street short block. http://coasthigh.com/Assemblies/Ford/ford_427w.htm. Shooting for ~450 torque and letting the horsepower fall where it may

I've been looking around for around 4 months now and the whole 427/418/408/etc thing seems to be more preference than anything. Just wondering if anyone had any SOLID evidence that a 427 as a daily driver isn't a good thing. I know that clearances suck when building them.... but I'm not concerned with that since it's a shortblock being built by CHP. I know the WHYS of why I shouldn't do it....just haven't SEEN the whys.

Also, since I'm going with an engine that isn't going to be revving too high too often, and since I want more downlow torque rather than top end power, I was planning on going with AFR 205s vs. 225 Opinions? Cam by Ed, and I was looking at an efi spyder intake

Thanks for the insight

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not totally familiar with CHP's kits, but looking at it, it uses a 4.170 inch stroke, so it possibly uses a 6.125 inch rod, thus leaving your rod ratio at only 1.47:1. That's not very good for engine longevity, and may very well cause the wrist pin to intersect the oil ring. I'd personally go with their 408 pro-street for the same price and worry less about what sort of mileage the engine will sustain. If you have any concerns like these, you should voice them to the tech guys over there, as I'm sure they'd never want to steer you in the wrong direction, especially considering the price is the same either way.

I don't know about which one would last longer between the 408/418/427, but I can help you with some of the parts of being a dd.
1. It's gonna be LOUD. I would go with either some quiet mufflers or a 4 muffler setup if you're gonna be driving it everyday.
2. Expect your gas mileage to be in the 6-8mpg range if you get on it a lot. In town you may get 10-12 going easy, and I get around 17-18 on the highway.
3. The spyder intake isn't really designed for low end torque. My friend made 462hp@6100/440tq@4700 with that intake, AFR 225's, and TFS stage 3 cam with his 427. Talk to Ed, he can help you out with that more than I can.