stronger hatch lifts

dagenham

May 23, 2010
Duncannon PA
I put a set of louvers on my wifes '91 and now the hatch will not stay up. The struts are not very old and I was wondering if anyone knows of a lift that is made to the same size but has a stronger lift capacity??
I did a bunch of looking but could not find the technical data I needed to try ones from a different application.

• Sponsors (?)

Does your hatch have a spoiler? The hatch lifts for the spoiler application supposedly handles more weight. I found a set on eBAy made by strong-arm and found out that strong-arm makes hatch lifts for other companies as well but they change the name to that particular vendor.

Yes it has the spoiler but now it has the extra weight of a set of louvers and now they will not hold the hatch up. The louvers are plastic on the ends but the slats themselves are made of aluminum making them heavier than normal.
Before the louvers where put on the hatch stayed up just fine.

When the weather gets colder, it causes the gas pressure inside the struts to decrease. The lower pressure means the struts don't hold the hatch up as well as they do in warm/hot weather. This is a natual physics thing, it happens to allmost all gas filled struts to some degree.

When the weather gets colder, it causes the gas pressure inside the struts to decrease. The lower pressure means the struts don't hold the hatch up as well as they do in warm/hot weather. This is a natual physics thing, it happens to allmost all gas filled struts to some degree.

Wow now that makes a lot of sense. Never thought of that. I guess because where I'm at never gets that cold. Lol Aloha