Strut tower brace

rpayne20

Dec 19, 2003
MI
I'm a newbie so forgive me.......whats the purpose of a strut tower brace??? I see them under the hoods of many cars posted here but don't know what they are for......a little info please.....Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, it's definitely more of a concern with 'verts. If you always look at turns as a personal challenge to see how fast you can take them :rolleyes: , you might want to consider one.

The frame or chassis of the Mustang isn't like what most cars have. They don't go from axle to axle. The front and rear sections of the Mustang chassis is held together by the body, which allows a lot of flexing. Consequently, each section of the frame flexes within itself. This is one of the main reasons for all the squeaks you hear when you go over speed bumps. The body is also known as the fifth spring in the Mustang suspension - jokingly of course. Strut tower braces, subframe connectors and other aftermarket frame add ons help minimize the flex.

Drag races do benefit from it. Have you seen 10 second cars twist when they launch? That energy is better sent to the wheels than spent twisting the car.

Read up on the unibody construction of the Mustang.

Any suggestions on where to read up on mustang suspensions??? better yet how about learning about all the systems in the car.....I would really like to know how everything works......I guess i am a wannabee motorhead...LOL

I have the MM STB and love it! Going around the old cloverleaf intersections, the car stays darn near flat. I also have the subframe connectors too, but am happier with those 2 mods than any other I've done. Oh, and I do the road track now and then. Guess it depends on what you want... If your wanting better drag times, maybe look for a different mod to spend your money on.