Struts/ Coils Installed

sirpoofington

Jul 20, 2006
Finished installing new coils and springs on my 04 Mustang GT, and will share my experiences with you here. I got H&R springs and Tokico struts from Maximum Motorsports as part of their sport grip box.

First the pros. The items were packaged very nicely as I have experienced with MM before. Lots of packing and protection, no damage to the components when received. All hardware and additional pieces were present and accounted for (new isolators, and pinion snubber.) The springs lowered the car 1.6" in the front and 1.5" in the rear, not too much and not too little in my opinion (a nice drop with the 18" FR500s I installed a while ago.) Instructions were good, installation wasn't too difficult, but plan on setting aside a good amount of time to dedicate to it. Highly recommend using a lift if at all possible, I did it on jack stands and it was not fun. The components were very good quality as well. The ride wasn't too much rougher, though these are not the most aggressive coils/ struts you can install on a stang by far.

Cons. Install is time consuming, springs are the most difficult piece to install, they are at an odd angle that doesn't facilitate getting them in place very easily. MM recommends, both on paper and over the phone when I called them with a few questions, that you loosen and retorque the front control arms, and also the rear upper and lower control arms with the car at the new ride height. That particular step if difficult due to high torque specs and poor access to the rear upper and lower control arm bolts.

I do enjoy the renewed ride quality that was severely lacking on my old coils and struts. Combined with the new polyurethane sway bar bushings, steering rack bushings, and sway bar end links that come with the kit, the handling is improved substantially.

• Sponsors (?)