Stuck Clutch

southern_boy

Apr 6, 2010
Texas
My clutch is stuck to the floor, I haven't driven it any yet, but if I pull the clutch up it will stay up, then if you push it down it stays down, as in it wont come up by itself. Whats wrong with it and what can fix it? FYI, it hasn't been driven since the 80s if that means anything.

• Sponsors (?)

bump.

See if we can get you an answer.
Like I said in the PM. It could be the fork return spring. But I am not horrible familiar with the manual transmissions.

Do you have a manual for your car? The haynes manuals are a good starting point. But eventually you will want to get ahold of an actual ford service manual.

What you'll need to do is examine the clutch linkage piece by piece starting with the pedal. Most likely something, or some combination of things is worn out, and causing your problem.

The linkage in these cars is smooth and easy when in good condition and properly lubricated and adjusted.

It should only take you a few minutes to find the problem.

I'm betting it'll be something like "bedal bushings shot, assist spring bushings gone, equalizer bent, equalizer bushings shot".

I just replaced my old clutch because the old one, installed back in the early 80's, had big issues. One of the symptoms was that upon releasing the clutch pedal, it would not come back up. Basically, the pressure plate was shot and did not have enough force to return the pedal.

Sure, your issue could be due to many things. Definitely check to see if you have a return spring. But, if the car has not been driven in over 20 year, I think it's safe to say that you will likely need to clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing to get this baby moving again.

I just had a similiar issue, I didn't replace the clutch, but I did install the Clutch assist spring under the dash as mine was missing. When I pushed the clutch in for the first time the pedal went to the floor and did not return, after crawling under the car I discovered that the Rod that pushes the clutch for on the tranny came out of the detent on the clutch fork and also noticed that the reurn spring that is under the car and mounts from the clutch fork to the chassis was missing . After reinstalling the rod into the clutch fork detent and installing a new clutch return spring it works fine.