Stupid Mistake (X-Pipe)

Pizzaman

Aug 7, 2003
Well guys, I thought i would take on changing the mid pipe this week and found what a stupid idea this was. I did some research, I seen where the passenger nut would be a pita. But didnt put a whole bunch of thought into that because research also brought that up when i did the 93 GT mid pipe and I didnt find much trouble in that.

For just over a day and a half now i have been soaking that nut with PB Blaster and doing the 2 swivel approach and cant get that dam thing off. I come up next to the cat up the pipe and get on the nut but it will not budge, possibly the torque is not going to the nut but to the swivel of the ratchet that is hitting the exhaust pipe. I think my only option now is to torch cut the pipe so that it doesnt interfere with the swivels. Has anyone else done it this way?

I also tried coming in from the wheel well and that doesnt do much other an a good view.

• Sponsors (?)

Use one GOOD swivel and put some elbow grease into it. I broke two swivels trying to remove mine before I got a higher quality swivel that was able handle all the force.

get the car higher off the ground and get a BIG ASS breaker bar. i mean like a 3 foot bar! those nuts can be a real PITA but the right amount of leverage will get the job done. the swivels will also take some of your leverage away so they are actually making you work harder.

mogs01gt Use one GOOD swivel and put some elbow grease into it. I broke two swivels trying to remove mine before I got a higher quality swivel that was able handle all the force.

You was able to get in there with 1 swivel? I got the 1 side of the passenger off without swivel without much problem.
I have been using craftsman swivels, hopefully they will be able to hand the force. Will go give it a shot right now, hope the hell it goes this time.

Well that didnt work, just about have that dam nut all stripped out now.

Has anyone had any success with impact wrench? Figure that will finish the stripping then I will be completely screwed. Cant really go get any professional help because what i am putting on is an off road X.

How much will i hurt the car if i drive it a few miles?with one side of the X off and the other being held on with 1 nut. I think flanges were used when these cars came out(x to cat back) ??? This car has had all of its exhaust joints welded except headers to X.

Also In this process I cut the pipes to seperate the x from the cat back, therefore the catback is dangling a bit.

I bought the X pipe and the X3 tuner, right now this is the worst purchase of my mustang life.

Err.... I wouldnt drive it like that. If anything, re-tighten the drivers side down so its not hanging.

I was also able to get it with 1 swivel and SEVERAL varying length extensions. It was actually really easy once you take a second and look at it.

Saleen has a good tip with using a breaker bar. I certainly would have not gotten the bolt loose without one.

The hardest part of the whole swap for me was holding the new X pipe in place while trying to get it bolted up. Im not a big guy so I had to use my entire body as a rest/lift to get the thing in place with such a tight space to work with.

FWIW, I used an impact wrench on mine. I tried for about 10 minutes with a ratchet and said screw it! As long as the nut isn't too boogered up, it should come off pretty easy with an impact. Good luck! When its all said and done, it won't be the worst purchase of your life!:nice:

this tread reminded me of the 98's ordeal. I went through most of these problems aswell. What works is a mid-deep well 15mm, a good swivel, and a long extention. The key for me was using 3/8" set too, 1/2" was too bulky and not letting the swivel tranfer the torque right. I thought i was going to break the thing but the nut gave first:nice:

The second time i went to remove the pipe(due to a clogged cat) I snapped that same stud flush with the header:eek:. I tried to seal it with the one side like you mentioned, but it does not work at all. I decided the best thing was to get new headers, hehe.

Hit it with a propane torch until it's just about red hot, then spray it with some WD40 or PB Blaster. The hot nut versus the cold penetrating oil will draw the oil into the threads. Be warned, it's going to smell like a BBQ grill under the car and smoke a lot, but it works very well in getting stubborn nuts and bolts free.