Stupid Question... AOD 3 or 4 speed?

• Sponsors (?)

Alright cool, I thought it was a 4 speed, hence the Over drive, but I was looking at the shifters and doubted myself. Anyone know where I can get a shifter that will work for cheap? Thanks!

-Shaun

The reason for it shifting backwards is because of the linkage point on the AOD you're using is below the pivot point on the transmission. Column shifted C-4's are like this, floor shifted C-4's are the opposite, the linkage point is above the pivot. If you'll install a cable operated shifter, you can reverse this. An 80's Ranger floor shifter can be made to work in a Stang, it will have the proper shift pattern for a 4 speed OD automatic. This same shifter was also used in the Bronco II's. But you will need to move the linkage point on a column shift AOD above the pivot point on the transmisssion.

I'm not going to tell you it'll fit without mods, but you should be able to adapt it to a Stang with minimal mods. The shifter assembly is bolted to a removeable floor panel, from which it can be removed. The whole shifter itself has about the same dimensions overall as a Stang's floor shifter. The Ranger/BroncoII came with a smaller OD 4 speed than the AOD, but the shift pattern is the same.

the aod's prior to 87 were sorta week due to smaller servos, id look for a newer one or update this one if your running a modded engine. but a few plusses of the aod are that 3rd and 4th gear are direct to the engine no torqure converter involved, and are nice for crusing down the highway, with a 3.08 rearend youll turn about 1500rpm at 55