stupid rice burners

THE COBRAMAN said:
You mean, had the big 3 stayed true to the car-buying public, don't you? We got tired of buying junk at ever-escalating prices. The Japanese car lines gave the people what they wanted, better build quality at a better price. The quality of today's "domestic" makes is a direct result of having to play catch-up 20 years ago. I'm not a Honda fan, but if you work with late-model cars everyday, you come to appreciate the differences between Hondas and Toyotas and Gm/Ford/Daimler-Chrysler built cars. I'll probably never buy one for myself, because I like the feel of domestic iron, but the difference is there, and it's a tradeoff I'm willing to accept because of personal taste.

BTW, the GTO is based on an "import" from Oz.
True- so true. I agree they put out some crap BUT, there is no way, NO WAY, anyone can tell me that an import is nicer than domestics. "CASE IN POINT" My soon to be wife back then wanted a new car. So we went shopping. She thought she might like a toyota or nissan
:eek: No way!!.We ended up buying a mercury Mystique--leather ,moonroof,5 speed,24 valve v-6. The thing flew.NEVER had any problems. Her mom had a mercury tracer she loved (never any problems) but traded it in on a Honda Accord :notnice: SURE they seem nice at first ,but come on, my wife had to drive her moms accord the other day.What a piece of sh#@. NOISEY inside,everything real cheap and plastic like. Cardboard thin doors,road noise,etc.My wife even said " this is newer than my Mystique but not near as nice"
SO HERE IS MY CHALLENGE TO ALL WHO STICK UP FOR THE ImPORTS( i hope i don't regret this) SCOUR THE CAR SHOWS-SEND THE PICS- I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A NICELY RESTORED DATSUN B-210. EARLY SEVENTIES I BELIEVE :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

itsaMustangtoo said:
SO HERE IS MY CHALLENGE TO ALL WHO STICK UP FOR THE ImPORTS( i hope i don't regret this) SCOUR THE CAR SHOWS-SEND THE PICS- I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A NICELY RESTORED DATSUN B-210. EARLY SEVENTIES I BELIEVE :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

That reminds me of people busting my nuts over the II.

ANd, I guess you never heard of the 240Z.? Pretty good following there.

THE COBRAMAN said:
You mean, had the big 3 stayed true to the car-buying public, don't you?

:nice:

The writing was put on the wall in '73 ~ '74 and again in the early '80s.

So why did GM insist on continuing their large car lines?

Damned near killed them.

The Japanese car lines gave the people what they wanted, better build quality at a better price. The quality of today's "domestic" makes is a direct result of having to play catch-up 20 years ago.

Same with motorcycles.

BTW, the GTO is based on an "import" from Oz.

I wish we could get the Fords from Oz.

itsaMustangtoo said:

tb-car.jpg

1978_Datsun_B210.jpeg

Not really my cup of tea, but then folks say that about IIs as well....

Attachments

• tb-car.jpg
    tb-car.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 80
And you see how many of those early rice cars on the road????? My favorite sniping is how a 76 toyota was a copy of a stang. The bigest problem was that after the rebound from the gas crunch, Americans gave their left overs to their kids. Like us except we got the cool stuff! Those yuppies etc. found an outlet in the new renamed hondas etc. which were magically a luxury car they could afford vice a BMW or Mercedes. Hell if ti wasn't fot the "Boss is back" in 82, Mustangs woulde 've been dead by now. That is what got the kick back into the american car market. I do not tuely hate them I guess. They really suck to work on, all FWD for that matter. But I appreciate the work and skill in a ride. Most of the rice pay someone else to slap a few goodies on their car and BAM a race car! When did six color fiberglass and primer, and unstyled steel rims become cool? Please kill me when I believe these are cool.......Geese I could ramble for hours... Besides why explain the "snakes" on the LTD, when it's easier to show them the "SVT" on the tailgate..

Wart said:
:lol:

Golly, car kept blowing up ...

Had to be the weight of the car .....

Every heavy car that has ever been 'raced' has always grenaded, had to be the weight.

Yes Sir, Couldn't be the loose nut behind the wheel.

Nope ...

:rlaugh:

Your probably right, but the fun I had and the stuff I learned :D

My 1976 Cougar had a the following Ford engines:
(2) 351M
351C
(2) 400m
351W
It also consumed
(3) C4 automatic transmissions
(1) C6 automatic transmission
(1) FMX automatic transmission
I lunched the gears in the 9" too!

To put things into perspective 1970's era cars were very undisirable in the early 90's. I often got whole cars for free or under $100.00. The cars and parts were very well worn. Had the drivetrain parts been rebuilt they likely would have held up beter. I just degreased them and painted them Ford blue and installed them. It was not until the II's where I started ripping into things. I rebuilt the engine and the C4 in my present II. You can make a heavy car go quick, but it is easier and cheaper to make a lite car go quick! I have been thinking about building a 1976 Cougar with a turbo diesel. I had supplied parts to guys souping up their dsl pick-ups and it is truely off the chain what you can get out of a modern DSl with a few choice bolt on's. Besides I never put a DSL in a Cougar....yet :D 800hp 1300 pound feet of torque would get that old barge up on plane :shrug:

Mustangj said:
You can make a heavy car go quick, but it is easier and cheaper to make a lite car go quick!

Amen. I tend to think of my II at this point as a hp per dollar equation. How many ricers (or heck, 1987-2005 'Stang owners) are breaking 300 rwhp on $2K or less total investment?

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

:banana:

itsaMustangtoo said:
Watch out for inferior ( cheap ) intakes from Japan. Where R&D stands for recieve and duplicate. It is nothing short of a fraud.!!!!!!!

Give me a break. First of all, North American automakers have been playing catch-up to Japan for a few decades now. Second, hardly anything is made in Japan anymore. Too expensive. Try China (the farther north the cheaper) or India. The company I work for has first-hand experience of their designs being knocked off & sold by Chinese companies. And yes, the quality is crap...for now. But you can be sure that as they graduate more engineers and invest in technology that places like China & India will be leading not following.

Vince said:
Give me a break. First of all, North American automakers have been playing catch-up to Japan for a few decades now. Second, hardly anything is made in Japan anymore. Too expensive. Try China (the farther north the cheaper) or India. The company I work for has first-hand experience of their designs being knocked off & sold by Chinese companies. And yes, the quality is crap...for now. But you can be sure that as they graduate more engineers and invest in technology that places like China & India will be leading not following.
Japs,china,hong kong,vietnam.Who cares where it comes from? Let's just say Asia ?? But it sounds like you are all in favor of it.!!!!!!! :doh: Which is silly, after you explain you have first hand experienceof your companies designs being ripped off. This pisses me off. I wish I could Take your companies product, copy it, sell it @ a profit ( no R&D involved) make some design improvements and BUY your company!!!!!!!!!!!

itsaMustangtoo said:
Japs,china,hong kong,vietnam.Who cares where it comes from? Let's just say Asia ?? But it sounds like you are all in favor of it.!!!!!!! :doh: Which is silly, after you explain you have first hand experienceof your companies designs being ripped off. This pisses me off. I wish I could Take your companies product, copy it, sell it @ a profit ( no R&D involved) make some design improvements and BUY your company!!!!!!!!!!!
I never said I was in favor of it. But it's reality. Putting up walls and sticking to our old ways isn't going to help in the long run. We need to stay ahead of them, design & build better products, and take advantage of the opportunity. With over 1 billion people in China that's a huge market to sell to.

But now we're getting off topic. As for the rice mobiles, I hate seeing those cheesy aluminum wings and big fart cans. But I've seen some tastefully done cars, and there's some fast ones out there, so I don't lump them all in the same category.

Vince said:
I never said I was in favor of it. But it's reality. Putting up walls and sticking to our old ways isn't going to help in the long run. We need to stay ahead of them, design & build better products, and take advantage of the opportunity. With over 1 billion people in China that's a huge market to sell to.

I think you'll find we aren't going to sell them a whole lot of anything. China is becoming the manufacturing center of hte World and I suspect if they want something they'll build it themselves.

I think you'll find the Chinese worker isn't paid a whole lot, I suspect they won't be buying a whole lot of anything from anyone including themselves.

And about better products, I think you'll find too much money to be made by Wall Street being value added resellers of imported stuff for them to invest the money in the facillities to make the stuff here.

But now we're getting off topic.
NOoooooooo!!

As for the rice mobiles, I hate seeing those cheesy aluminum wings and big fart cans. But I've seen some tastefully done cars, and there's some fast ones out there, so I don't lump them all in the same category.

I think we can agree Rice is a mental state of Bling and other bad taste.

You know the Rice thats going to tear you up is the one where the owner built the car and removed the 'Type' whatever badges and other go fast markings and is running in stelth mode.

That I can get behind.