stupidest question ever. wiper arm removal

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
hello. i must be a moron. i need to take the cowl vent deal off, so i need to get the pass side wiper arm off. i have a propensity to break things, so i didnt mess with it too much. nothin in the search i did.
i thought they might just slide onto splines, and i gave about as much of a reef as i dared, but nada. manual is useless on this one.

help the moron out, please. :)

many thanks :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

First gently lift the arm upwards until it stops by comming in contact with itself, then while holding it, on the back side where the arm connects to the motor, there is a little raised piece of metal. you have to pull it back slightly until it wont move any more...appx. 1/4". then while holding it, release the wiper arm to allow it to rest on the now exposed pad from the raised piece of metal you pulled on. once it is rested, jiggle the arm a little and pull up at the same time.
Hope this helps, kinda hard to describe, but extreemly easy to do.

Hey hissin, don't feel like the lone ranger. I've owned this thing for ten year and just recently learned how to take off the wiper blades. The "pep boys" guy just strolls over with a flat blade screwdrive and calmly pry's it off of the wiper arm. Talk about feeling like a freaking dumbass. I've built motors, installed clutches, raced dirt track and 1/4 mile, and I can't do that? Goes to prove, no question is a dumb question, but some of the dumb answers are. You got good advice on this post.

everyone, thanks so much for the replies. i have been trying to get the pass side off. i did what you said on the drivers side, and it came right off. but my pass side wont (even soaked it in PB Blaster). ill deal with it tomorrow. thanks so much.

Big Mak, i hear you. lately i've been slammed with projects (cars keep poopin out), so stangie went on the back burner. in my haste, ive man handled stuff and, ahem, broken some stuff. so i figured i had better ask. good stuff from you all. thanks :nice:

while ive got you guys (sorta' [LOL]) payin attention, does anyone know any sites or links for fox bodied stangs with old school SS stripes. ive gone through every year of stangs on cardomain (and seen all of your cars in there. :), but there isnt much with the stripes. (you cant search just for stangs on there with stripes, right? i couldnt do it. i searched through all of them one by one. aaarrggghhh). i dont know of any other way to find some pics. im plannin on doin them but want to see some pics for ideas (how they work with a saleen wing for a vert that has the trunk exposed under the wing, what width to use, etc). i need to print some stuff out. help me again, if you can (im also a computer and internet moron). many thanks :)

I wouln't use a screwdriver, or if you have to -- wrap it in electrical tape or something. It's realy easy to slip off and gouge your paint there! BTW -- you really shouldn't need a screwdriver -- they should be pretty easy.

HISSIN50 said:
hello. i must be a moron. i need to take the cowl vent deal off, so i need to get the pass side wiper arm off. i have a propensity to break things, so i didnt mess with it too much. nothin in the search i did.
i thought they might just slide onto splines, and i gave about as much of a reef as i dared, but nada. manual is useless on this one.

help the moron out, please. :)

many thanks :nice:
:shrug: No stupid questions here. No way to know everything about every detail on your car. I learn something new almost every day.
:nice:

RDKSEK and others, thanks very much. readin it didnt make sense. i played with it and realized that the arm had to be lifted away from the glass (what rdksek said-just didnt sink in). then the clip came out all the way. no screwdriver needed. thanks a lot. suffering from CSS, CHS and CRS really has its disadvantages. LOL.
Big B, you are right, but i have "some" pride. :)
thanks again. :)