Stupidest thing you've ever heard about car performance

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
When you go to gatherings, meets, car shows, even race tracks, you hear a lot of people talking and often you hear some pretty stupid stuff. Such as not long ago I heard one guy telling another guy that he painted the plastic intake hose (from the air filter to the throttle body) blue because blue does not conduct heat as well, and he said it added "like 15 horsepower, you can really feel it". I'm sure if you noted everything you've heard you could fill a page, but list some things that stand out in your mind. This ought to be good. :)

• Sponsors (?)

What cracks me up is peoples HP/TQ numbers, we run a car show in our county and guys with Mustangs come in all the time. We will have Foxes with Stock Heads, Aftermarket Cam and Cobra (GT40) Intake and swear up and down they have 400 to 500hp LOL!!!

And Last But Not Least:

The Rednecks Ultimate Mods

Cold Air Intake
"Chip"
Short Throw
Flowmaster

and thats 400 to 500hp

LOL HAHA I Just Love It!!

What cracks me up is peoples HP/TQ numbers, we run a car show in our county and guys with Mustangs come in all the time. We will have Foxes with Stock Heads, Aftermarket Cam and Cobra (GT40) Intake and swear up and down they have 400 to 500hp LOL!!!

And Last But Not Least:

The Rednecks Ultimate Mods

Cold Air Intake
"Chip"
Short Throw
Flowmaster

and thats 400 to 500hp

LOL HAHA I Just Love It!!

LMFAO!! I can see that.. hahahaha

here's a good one....Mustang show at the ford dealership every summer, there was a really nice fox coupe with the entire engine bay filled, smoothed, painted white like the exterior, all wires hidden in the fenders, a/c deleted, novi2000, EVERYTHING was poilished, painted, or powder coated....you could eat of this motor, I heard a guy say "I hate the clean look"

OMG, I work at advance auto parts. I know people at parts stores get a bad rap for being retarded most of the time, but holy crap what about the stupid customers that come in there :bang: I have to many too tell, from the kid who spends 60 bucks on an oil change to put royal purple in his v6 mustang, to the guy trying to convince me we should carry the turbonator because of how much performance and gas mileage increase it gives.

my roommate told me tonight his BMW Z3 weighs 800 pounds....eight hundred....

Thats about right... considering after the chop shop gets done with it that is what it will weigh.

I just remembered one. The Maxton Mile is basically a mile long drag strip in North Carolina that only measures your speed at the end of the track, I have a coworker that goes there sometimes. This kid came in with a typically modded SRT4 Neon and clearly said he figured his car could get at least 200mph.

my roommate told me tonight his BMW Z3 weighs 800 pounds....eight hundred....

wow that reminds me of another one, a buddy said even when my stang is done his 400hp sti will still beat mine with the 700hp i hope to be putting out, because of the power to weight ratio, said think about is 700hp at 4000lbs or 400hp at 1200lbs "what do you think is gonna win" i laughed and i laughed

no joke, i actually saw a guy at the track spraying pam on the outside of his trans am.

if i remember right he had a mullet too haha.

if you put pam or vasoline on the black of the fenders the burnt rubber whipes right off, if you dont you will f up your paint trying to peel the rubber off.

A kid with a prelude asked me if my car was a 5 spd, I told him it was a 12speed and said in all seriousness "that's cool as hell, I'm sure your top speed is ridiculous!", this same prelude had exhaust and cam gears and he said it's putting down "roughly 300 to the wheels"

A 16 yr old came up to me at a show n shine type deal we were having, "hey, how fast does that go?" I told him I don't have a clue cause the speedometer only goes up to 85. "Oh, I figured it would go way faster than that!?" Yowza!