-Sub Frames-, do I need to remove the carpet before welding??

fidstang said:
I have the spool gun, I just was wondering if there was a flux core wire that would allow me to weld aluminum without having to by the bottle, gas and line. Oh well!

I dunno about that,but even then I wouldnt do aluminum welding with a MIG if I didnt have to.It doesnt look nearly as nice as a TIG weld,lumpier with spatter.

• Sponsors (?)

fidstang said:
I have the spool gun, I just was wondering if there was a flux core wire that would allow me to weld aluminum without having to by the bottle, gas and line. Oh well!

Sorry you cant weld aluminum with flux cored,for mig welding aluminum it has to be pure argon shielding gas and aluminum wire, flux cored wire is used for mild steel, bascially the flux-cored welds look like a stick welder did it.

Mig wire is usually in the 70ksi tensile strength range, so ya it will hold the subframes on, you could pick up your car by the subframes if you wanted.

And if you lay a solid weld all the way around your subframes, the metal will pull and warp, so weld a little, stop let it cool for about a min. or so, then weld a little more, let cool, etc.

bluevenom867 said:
I dunno about that,but even then I wouldnt do aluminum welding with a MIG if I didnt have to.It doesnt look nearly as nice as a TIG weld,lumpier with spatter.

It actually doesn't look that bad, or im just that good, no spatter and not lumpier.

ExplodingGopher said:
Sorry you cant weld aluminum with flux cored, it has to be pure argon shielding gas for aluminum, flux cored wire is used for mild steel, bascially the flux-cored welds look like a stick welder did it.

You can us helium/argon mix as well.I got a Linclon welder just like Tmoss,I want to get the MIG conversion kit,but I havent even tried out the flux cored yet,haha.

Im actualy looking for a decent priced TIG 250.

Oh,and as for the real topic I dont think the carpet would catch fire,but you never know.So have a extinguisher or hose near by.

bluevenom867 said:
You can us helium/argon mix as well.I got a Linclon welder just like Tmoss,I want to get the MIG conversion kit,but I havent even tried out the flux cored yet,haha.

Im actualy looking for a decent priced TIG 250.

Oh,and as for the real topic I dont think the carpet would catch fire,but you never know.So have a extinguisher or hose near by.

I use helium/argon/CO2 at work for mig welding stainless, helium makes the weld twice as hot, good for stainless, not good to use with aluminum. For TIG welding i use just straight argon. flux cored works great for exhaust systems and such, especially welding outside, when there is a wind over 5 mph, you cant use shielding gas outside, thats where flux cored shines, i think you can use it in up to around 45mph winds and the wire strength is up around 71ksi. my lincoln precision TIG 185 is pretty nice at work.

oh and yeah, just kep an eye on your carpet, check it every now and then.