Roush Subframe Connecter Question

sal07b

Mar 18, 2004
Springboro Ohio
OK, I may have asked this before, but here goes again if I did. I'm about to buy a set of sub-frame connectors. Is there a difference between what is needed for a coupe vs. a convertible? I don't want to get the wrong ones. Also, please post any good/bad comments on ones that you have installed. Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

OK, I may have asked this before, but here goes again if I did. I'm about to buy a set of sub-frame connectors. Is there a difference between what is needed for a coupe vs. a convertible? I don't want to get the wrong ones. Also, please post any good/bad comments on ones that you have installed. Thanks...

...to add to Dave's question, what brand was Saleen using for their subframes in the mid-90's?? That's one question I have yet to get answered......

...I've heard Maxium Motorsport and Griggs are the two power houses for All suspension stuff...

I'll check those two out. All I know is that I don't like the feel of the vert w/ the top down. It feels "loose" to me. It was beautiful today, so I took it out for a couple of hours. it's OK if the road is good, but if the road is bumpy at all, it feels like it is all over the place. I'm hoping the subframe connectors solidify it a bit. I'm going to have them put in, then install my CC plates. Hopefully the combination of the two will make a difference in the "feel".

I drove a Cadillac CTS-V the other day and it felt better then the Saleen (believe it or not). It was a 2004 and was pretty damn nice. I am going to be giving my daily "hooptie" to my daughter in a few months, so I'm looking for the next daily driver. That damn car was pretty impressive. Power, handling, and awesome braking. Pretty bad if I get that and it is better across the board then my "fun" car! I just don't know if I can get past the thought that grandparents are the only ones that really buy Cadillac's...lol

Not sure about whether there is a difference or not, but I'd definitely recommend the Maximum Motorsports sfc's. I got them on my 03 cobra and they really improved the feel of the car. I got the ones that are extra long. I forget what they call them, but you'll see if you go to their website.

Dave,

You don't have to spend big money to "tighten" that vert up. Just go withe the full length Global West single tube subframe connectors with seat supports. They are very reasonable and easy to install. Don't let anyone talk you into anything more lie tri ladders than that. They look pretty and are as extreme as you can go but you don't need it for your weekend warrior.

Kenny Brown used to work for Saleen. Saleen has never been huge on subframe connectors.

Oh yea, and what's wrong driving a Cadillac? I do. :)

Thanks for all the inputs! I definately think I'll go with the full length ones. I'm still confused as to why some call out convertible (Global West), yet others do not. Is there some type of additional support for the verts that require a "work around" for the subframes? They didn't really look any different in the picture, yet they were definately different stock numbers??:shrug:

Marcus - nothing wrong with a Caddy. It's just my ol' school thinking (referring to the ones Robert talked about). Hey, I've got an Expedition on 22's (basically a land tank) that I have Liz and the kids riding around in. I figure unless they mix it up with a Semi or Train, they'll come out on top of the situation...:nice:

Dave,

You don't have to spend big money to "tighten" that vert up. Just go withe the full length Global West single tube subframe connectors with seat supports. They are very reasonable and easy to install. Don't let anyone talk you into anything more lie tri ladders than that. They look pretty and are as extreme as you can go but you don't need it for your weekend warrior.

Kenny Brown used to work for Saleen. Saleen has never been huge on subframe connectors.

another vote for Global wests.
I've been under cars with just about every type, and the MM's and KB's are wimpy compared to the GB's.

Dave,

Oh yea, and what's wrong driving a Cadillac? I do. :)

A rookie question but what do the single tube subframe connectors with seat supports do and where are they installed?
Thanks,
Tim

I find this subject very interesting. I bought my 89 Saleen in Nov 93. When I checked out the suspension, my car already had subframe connectors. So I just assumed that all Saleens came with subframe connectors.

So what's the deal?

....the subframes weren't part of the base package, just like the heavy duty front and rear sway bars, LCA's and the N2 (yellow and blue) shocks and struts compared to the base model Racecraft (black w/ red lettering) suspension. They could be added with the upgraded suspension package. I don't recall the names of all three packages, I'll have to refer to the 3rd edition of the Saleen Performance Parts catalog when I get home tonight for that one....:nice:

I probably posted this photo last time you asked.

Dirty Global West “tri-ladders”

426834_19_full.jpg

Like Marcus said, you’ll be doing a great service to your car getting the regular full length subs. Just get something already. :p

A rookie question but what do the single tube subframe connectors with seat supports do and where are they installed?
Thanks,
Tim

Tim, head paner just posted a good picture of what they are.
Compare that to the other brands and you'll see the difference.

The seat supports cross between the rear seat bolt holes, which have a tendency to rip through the floor if you beat on your car and you are a fat ass. (not saying anyone here is). Basically the weather and a persons weight being pressed back on the seat wears the sheet metal out, then you fall through the floor.

My tubuar FMS connectors are shot, i wish i could use the GB's, but i've managled my frame too much with jacking the car up and down. So i'll be using less of a set.

As others have stated in this & other previous threads, subframe connectors are a "must" with a unibody vehicle like the Mustang, especially a convertible. Over 1/3 of the structural rigidity in a vehicle is provided by the roof so removing it creates the typical flexy-flyer syndrome despite the OEM added cross bracing & other stiffeners.

I used the tubular (round) connectors from MAC on my '89 Saleen. They had flanges on the forward & aft ends to tie into the respective subframes & could either be bolted or welded in place. Obviously I had them welded as bolts provide minimal rigidity & will eventually work themselves loose.

On my '98 Saleen Cobra, I used the full length rectangular connectors from Maximum Motorsports that are welded at various places along the floorpan.

In both cases the connectors made a huge difference, particularly with the latter vehicle since it is a convertible like yours.

I also had the MM strut tower brace installed @ the same time as the subframe connectors. There is some dispute about whether such a brace actually provides any additional rigidity to the chassis, but I figure any little bit helps on a convertible.

Besides, in my view, a Saleen just isn't a Saleen without the signature strut tower brace. :D

Well, the Global West connectors and associated seat braces are on the way. I ordered them today and they were in stock, so they should be here by mid-next week. The guy said I needed the seat supports b/c the SF connectors actually weld to them (there's a cut-out for the SF tubes), even though they are sold separately. Kind of makes me wonder why they sell them separate if you need them, they should just include them in the kit!

One more question. Did you guys have to have the carpet pulled up/out when you had them welded in? Wondering if the heat from welding will burn it or not?? Can't wait to get them in. Going to put my MM4-bolt CC plates on at the same time and have the whole thing aligned. I'll post how it turns out. Thanks again for all the comments (even the smart a$$ one headpanier....:D )...

One more question. Did you guys have to have the carpet pulled up/out when you had them welded in? Wondering if the heat from welding will burn it or not?? Can't wait to get them in. Going to put my MM4-bolt CC plates on at the same time and have the whole thing aligned. I'll post how it turns out. Thanks again for all the comments (even the smart a$$ one headpanier....:D )...

As long as the person doing the welding takes a periodic break to prevent excessive heat build up, it shouldn't be necessary to pull up the carpet to prevent it from catching fire.

Unfortunately the shop that installed the MAC connectors on my '89 Saleen many years ago didn't take this precaution. While I was watching them perform the installation, I became alarmed (no pun intended) when I noticed that the interior had suddenly filled up with smoke. I ran over to my car & yelled @ the installer that the carpet was on fire. Fortunately it was confined to a small area of the floorpan just in front of the rear seat bottom on the driver's side. An upholstery shop sewed in a little patch that was partially covered up by the floor mat.
But if I hadn't been paying attention it could have been much worse! :eek: