Suffering in Jetta... waiting til' 05

FNG 2001

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Hawthorne, CA
Hey guys. I've been MIA for quite a while. I had to sell my '01 GT last May in order to get out of debt. Since then, I have been tooling around in a '01 VW Jetta. It is an okay commuter, but damn I miss my stang. My debt is just about paid off now. My goal is to wait until the new SVT Cobra comes out. I can't wait. It sucks not having a Mustang. Easily the funnest car I've ever owned. The new model looks sweeeeeeeeeeeet! I can't wait. I'd like to get a souped up version like the SVT, or a special edition i.e. Mach 1, bullett, boss, etc. That way, I won't blow my bankroll on mods. I'd rather have a stock Mustang than no Mustang at all. :( On a happy note... it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine. :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

spanky442 said:
Yeah, don't get yourself back into debt buying a new one. Maybe you can get a used one.

I make good money, I just spent it faster than I made it. I've woken up and learned my lesson. As for a used mustang, here are my thoughts. Mustang GTs are usually driven harder than other cars. I took really good care of mine, yet I did have it airborne one time when I didn't see a dip in the road. The car was fine... I didn't tell my buyer about this incident. My point is that you never know what you are getting when you buy used. Did they break the car in properly? Regular maintainence? I can afford a new one, so that's what I'm getting. Debt sucks... I'm not going there again.

Yes, most people are boneheads and don't maintain their cars, and many people do abuse them, but the average GT buyer is fairly afluent and it shouldn't be too hard to find a well-cared-for car. Also, the massive depreciation that takes place in the first few years will more than make up for of the cost of any potential repairs. I refuse to drive a FWD econobox for any reason. Life is too short to drive a car you don't like, and you don't have to spend much to drive a cool car (for example, if patient, you should be able to find a great condition 94/5 5.0 for less than $5000). Pay cash for cars and stay away from dealers as much as possible.

spanky442 said:
well, you can pick up a leftover 03 or even an 04 for dirt cheap now.
That is true and something I will consider once the new models come out. As for my econobox, I plan on keeping it as my daily driver. If you had my commute, you would definitely understand. Once the '05s come, you are right... the dealerships are going to be majorly discounting the current model. Something to think about.

Ron Jeremy said:
My daily driver is a 2002 V6 Mustang. I love this car. I also own a 2001 Mustang GT which only has 1,279 original miles on it. I love this car too.

I thought about trading the 97 up too a 04 Cobra. Wife kinda took eminent domain over that car, but she said its ok to trade for an 04 as long as it was bright red like my 97 but convertable this time. But she also needed a new family vehicle, so we kept both cobras and bought and 04 Passat Wagon V-6 with AWD. Nice car too.

FNG 2001 said:
I make good money, I just spent it faster than I made it. I've woken up and learned my lesson. As for a used mustang, here are my thoughts. Mustang GTs are usually driven harder than other cars. I took really good care of mine, yet I did have it airborne one time when I didn't see a dip in the road. The car was fine... I didn't tell my buyer about this incident. My point is that you never know what you are getting when you buy used. Did they break the car in properly? Regular maintainence? I can afford a new one, so that's what I'm getting. Debt sucks... I'm not going there again.

I've learned my lesson, too, FNG. Debt is a bitch! I've recently paid off my credit cards and am now saving as much as I fast as I can to pay cash (or close to it) for an '05 or '06 GT once rebates and discounts kick in.

My advice is to wait for a new '05. I'm thinking the same thing as you are about a used GT. I live up in NorCal and I see too many of them street raced and beat on to want to own a used one. As for a new '03 or '04 at a discount, of course that is up to you but IMHO the '05 should be a far better
car.

I hear you. I'm suffering in a Jeep Liberty. It's good in it's own way, like handling mountain driving with snow, and doing light off roading, but it's no performance car.

I've been Mustangless since '94, when I traded my black '88 GT vert. I miss that car, and the V8.

I rented an 02 GT vert about a year and a half ago, as I've been wanting another Stang real bad as a second car. I've always liked the looks of the 99-04, and it's got a sweet sound. The problem was that it just didn't drive like a new car. I thought the steering felt numb, ride was harsh, and seats were awful. I thought I could easily improve the seats, and do some upgrades to the chassis/suspension/engine, (probably just having to live with a harsh ride, but hey it's a performance car.) but then figured the cost of all the stuff was never going to be recovered. I got back into my car at the airport, (a 99 VW Passat with aftermarket wheels/tires) and was amazed at how good the steering/seats/chassis felt after driving the Stang for a week.

I didn't like the looks of the production 05 GT from the first pictures I saw of it, as I was hoping for it to look exactly like the concept. The more I look, the more I like. Really starting to appreciate the clean look without scoops and doo-dads. Especially the straight-on side shot of the car. Can't wait to see one in person.

I'm counting on Ford to make this a good driving and fun to drive car, more than just acceleration, with a decent interior and good seats too. At around $25K, it will be about the same price as a slightly used 03/04 with all the mods I would have to do.

Unless the test drive really dissapoints me, I'll be keepin the Jeep for a daily driver, and buying an 05 GT coupe in late 04 or early 05.