Suggestion on next change.

erriod

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2000
Norfolk, VA
I currently have an 87 lx convertable (well over 200k miles on it) I dropped a new engine(explorer from ford 302.)/tranny (tremic 3550) in it 2 years ago. Followed by a procharger blower (9#) the following year. Best I have run so far is a 12.47 on the 1/4. Last time at the dyno, was pushing over 387 RWHP, with just regular 92 octane gas.

My next issue is replacing the clutch (not sure on which centerforce clutch to work with)

I want this to be a weekend driver, but one that is race worthy for the street/strip.

The body looks like crap with a tore up back right quarter panel, and dented front right quarter panel. The top is also in bad shape.

Here are the questions:
1. should I replace the body, with a fox body (non-convertable type)

2. Stroke and bore the engine out to a 347 for that added power (good option especially if the engine wiill be out of the body while fixing it up.) Also to help the engine handle stepping up to the 14# pulley on the blower.

3. I want a rear end that will be able to handle the power I am putting to it, should I step up to a 31 spline rear end with a better differential? what type of differentiall? What changes need to be made to make a new one fit if that is the change I make.

4. Rollcage. This follows along with the change in body or not. For a car that I want to be hitting in the 10's, what type of roll cage is required for a convertable? 4/6/8 pt?

I'm currently saving money up to do this. Come this january I will have some decient funds to start filtering towards fixing this up.

Suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)