Suggestions welcomed...

mijo_latino

Apr 16, 2004
Canton, Michigan
OK, as of now my car has two significant problems that i need to fix.
The passanger side header stud has snapped off(flush with the header plate so needs to be drilled out) and now there is an exhuast leak(at least i think is that).
My rear-end is whining pretty bad and basically needs an overhaul(all bearings and seals).
Also I have been getting the ol' lean on both banks codes. I think this is just a corroded hose or a small leak on the intake side. Could just be the exhuast leak, but doubful. I thought it might be that the comp. can't keep up with the mods, but i know there are some people on here with more mods and running fine.

Labor day is coming up and i am going to tackle one of these problems by upgrading parts on that weekend. I already have the gears and install kit, with t-lock kit aswell, but don't have a dail indicator or a inch-pound torqure wrench(willing to buy though). Now if i go with new headers, I don't know if the bolts will come out fine as the car shows its age everytime i modify it. Last thing i need is a broken header bolt, needing to pull the engine completely out.

So basically, gears DIY method(studied extensively)? Or headers, which kind? both in ~4 days?

• Sponsors (?)

if you want headers and are going shorties, I would suggest BBKs for the budget... just make sure you reserve an hour with the dremel to smooth out the splatter that they coat over ><

If L/Ts I have no experiance

If you can reach the one stud easily IMO just fix that and throw your gears in.

Heh, looking at the bbk's. For $250-$350, they're not bad. The only reason i had for the headers is that there is no way to get to the stud without taking it off. Any one have experience with ford racing headers?

Also clearence is already an issue with the passenger side front 02 sensor. It takes quite awhile to just find the sweet spot to thread in...

after stewing all day on this, i've decided to just do the headers(bbk ceramic shorties rmp outlet~$350) due to the easier of install of the two choices. I'll order them tomarrow and take plenty of pics of the install next week.

Hard to track down the tools for the gear swap, mainly the inch/pound toque wrench. Harbor freight has just about what i needed, dial caliper, dial indicator w.base, and a crummy toque wrench. Came out to $70(cheap stuff). I didn't know if the stuff would arrive on time either, that swayed me more.

thanks for the suggestion mypony, mostly just thinking out loud here.

oh, and im deffinetly dropping the k, not even going to waste time trying any other way.