super Chargers, which one?

killermach1

Jul 19, 2004
Ok all of you supercharger guru's here is a question. I am still torn over weather to stay naturally aspirated (heads, cams, etc) or forced induction. I have ruled out any use of turbo charging. I have seen a lot posted about some superchargers being more efficient, or this and that. I need your opinions (prefferably from experience) between Roush, Saleen, FRPP, Kenne Bell, which would be best for overall performance and reliability? I have listed Kenne Bell because they have a very good reputation, the others I listed because I could have my dealer install and get warranty coverage. That and I tend to like the screw type superchargers over the centrifugal ones. Let me know what you think.

• Sponsors (?)

Roush is the worst of those 3. Saleen looses efficiency pretty quick (14-15psi? maybe earlier I can't think right now) whereas the KB will keep efficiency up to around 18ish I think...maybe more. Just know that the KB is more efficient than the Saleen for higher boost applications.
True the Saleen isn't as efficiant as the KB over 12psi, but once you start to climb over 12psi with any TS your going to need solid internals.

I dont plan on running high boost. I figure 5-8 psi and no higher than 10 for sure. I want rock solid reliability above all in the end I am not looking at any higher than 5-600 hp at the wheels. This is and will be my daily driver for a long time and any more than that would be too much.

I dont plan on running high boost. I figure 5-8 psi and no higher than 10 for sure. I want rock solid reliability above all in the end I am not looking at any higher than 5-600 hp at the wheels. This is and will be my daily driver for a long time and any more than that would be too much.

Go saleen then. Cheaper, you can get a warranty, and it has a very good underhood look to it.

Well your not going to get 5-600 hp at the wheels without a complete rebuild of your block and without running boost higher then at least 12psi. I have the kenne bell on my car as a daily driver and I get about 420 to the wheels which is just about how much you would want to put on stock internals. I prefer kenne bell the most, but then again I am a little biased.

With all the opinions back and forth about which is the better unit, you guys are all forgetting the any of the above kits will make enough power to break the stock internals. Who really cares how efficient they are above so many pounds of boost or how much more peak horsepower one is able to make over another. Unless the buyer is planning on dropping another $3,00-$4,000 on a built short block, what difference does it make? :shrug:

I noticed a little baggin on the Roush charger here, since it seems to be the only "Eaton" based kit of the bunch and since so many people have been brianwashed by one of the more popular "Twin Screw" blower copmpanies to think that Eatons are worthless, nobody wants to give them a shot. Funny thing is, it seems to run just about as fast as any of the other twin screws do and doing so while being a much smaller displacement blower to boot.

I run the same sized Eaton on my 2V and have no problems running 12's in my 4,000lb, automatic, IRS equipped luxobarge of an MN12. So they certainly must not the the "waste of money" a lot would have you believe.

I personally really like the FRPP kit. It makes all the advertised horsepower claimed, is a simple install and most of all looks factory. I've been following "Project MILF" in MM&FF over the last several weeks and they've really started to run some impressive times in that car, with very little hassle.

The Saleen is a nice unit too and for a change isn't the most expensive of the bunch. I also like the fact that it utilizes the stock T/B location. Great for those guys who've spent big bucks on a WMS CAI kit and don't like the though of having to get rid of it. Truth be told, the Saleen kit is probably the best designed out of the bunch. The inverted blower design minimizes the twists and turns the airflow must overcome in order to enter the engine. Kenne Bells may be able to make a little more jame when you turn up the wick, but this has nothing to do with "blower efficiency" and everything to do with blower displacement. Gotta remember.....the Saleen and FRPP blowers are running a 2.3L blower, where the Kenne Bell unit's employ a larger 2.6L and 2.8L unit. And I think that's where a lot of you will see the difference in the top end.

The Kenne Bell unit....well, like I said above, if you've got a built short block to take advantage of the added power the slightly larger compressor will provide when you really start spinning it, then by all means....as it sits, this kit will be top dog. Otherwise, if street level performance on a stock short block is what you're after, I see no real advantage to owning one of theirs over on of the others mentioned. Don't get me wrong, the build as nice a kit as the next guy, but their horrible customer service would be enough to turn me off of their product. And until that improves, they'll never see any of my money. :)

You can't go wrong with the Kenne Bell, Saleen or the Whipple
DO NOT BUY THE ROUSH, they are dogs!!!!
I go to the track at least once a week .
I have a Kenne Bell.
I have a friend with a Saleen and a friend with a Whipple.
I also know someone with a Roush and he regrets buying it.
If I did it all over again I would buy the Whipple or the Saleen due to the fact of many belt problems I have had with the Kenne Bell.

DO NOT BUY THE ROUSH, they are dogs!!!!

I guess if you consider mid/low-12's in a 3,700lb car a dog? And there's another 40-50hp on tap with nothing more than a pulley swap and a tune. The Roush Drag Pack Mustang uses this same blower set up and runs high-11's with suspension work.

Not too shabby if you ask me. :shrug:

I do agree though....the other kits are every bit as nice and if big power was in the future, the Roush M90 based kit isn't for you.

Ok all of you supercharger guru's here is a question. I am still torn over weather to stay naturally aspirated (heads, cams, etc) or forced induction. I have ruled out any use of turbo charging. I have seen a lot posted about some superchargers being more efficient, or this and that. I need your opinions (prefferably from experience) between Roush, Saleen, FRPP, Kenne Bell, which would be best for overall performance and reliability? I have listed Kenne Bell because they have a very good reputation, the others I listed because I could have my dealer install and get warranty coverage. That and I tend to like the screw type superchargers over the centrifugal ones. Let me know what you think.

Since you are not set on a brand as most people usually start out I would approach this from a different angle. I would figure out who you are going to have tune your car and see what they prefer or are familiar with.

If you plan on using a mail order tune I would suggest checking with JDM and their Saleen kits. I do not believe they have had 1 failure yet.

just my 2 cents . i have the intercooled magna charger on my 06 roush and i love it awsome power fun to drive and no problem as of yet . looks great under the hood (see my garage ) . easy to install . and more power avilable with different pullys and you can also get a warranty on the motor. check it out you may like what you see

just my 2 cents . i have the intercooled magna charger on my 06 roush and i love it awsome power fun to drive and no problem as of yet . looks great under the hood (see my garage ) . easy to install . and more power avilable with different pullys and you can also get a warranty on the motor. check it out you may like what you see

Have you ever had any belt slippage or belt throwin problems with that setup?

no,no problems as of yet . they seem to have done there homework on this set up . they have been doing them for a while for the chevy crowd . love it always makes 7 psi boost and have never heard a peep from the belts . and they show no signs of wear .

not yet . funds are a little low right now . according to magna charger . should be a 130 hp bolt on . when i get some spare cash i will be sure to post . heading to the track in a few weeks nearest 1/4
mile track is 2 hours from me . i have a 1/8 mile 15 min away . but i just dont see the sense if your not geared for it .

hi, i wanna buy a supercharger kit... but im interested in saleen but i have Steeda UD pulleys, and predator.... i have to remove the UD pulleys and the predator?...

And, how much psi do you recomend me... with the stock engine and with any modify components...

You won't need to get rid of the predator, but you will need to retun your vehicle with it. The pulleys on the other hand have to go on a mod motor engine no matter which blower it is. The smaller crank pulley that would normally save you a few horsepower in a N/A application, is now costing you 2 to 3-times as much in a supercharged application because it's under driven ratio is slowing your blower speed. I think if memory serves, the Saleen's entry level kit set you right up at around 5-6psi and is good for around 400-420hp.