Christian Cornwell

Aug 31, 2016
Upstate NY
So i recently went out and picked up a Vortech Supercharger for my 94 v6 and had some questions i thought someone may have some knowledge about but first some overview of the car. So i got the car about a year ago at this point as basically a fill in car that would look cool till i could get something else. The car is a 5 speed manual with a few minor upgrades at this point. The car has the fancy cobra r style hood, which was terribly paint matched, and a few other things that weren't done perfect but i could see that overall the car was clean. The underside of the car and all the body panels were in good shape so i started cleaning the car up (washing clay baring, repainting the hood, removing kids stickers from the interior and stuff like that) and i realized that the car was really nice. The more that i drove the car the more that i realized how much i liked how it handled over the same v8 counterpart. My uncle owns the exact same car just with a v8 that is bone stock so i had no problem getting my v8 rumble fix when i needed it. The more that i drove his car and mine i really began to notice how much better mine cornered and how much lighter all around it felt. As a result of this i decided to do some stuff to my car so i bought lowering springs and a few other things here and there. Then i decided i wanted to go loud so i bought myself a set of long tube headers and tailpipes. I installed the headers on my own in my garage on jack stands (not the easiest) and took it to my local exhaust shop and had them install straight pipes with cherry bombs and the tail pipes. This completely changed the sound of the car as one would expect and even gave it a slight difference on the old butt dyno. After this i did some other stuff like new wheels and tires and painted the roof black which made it look really good. After this i told myself that i was done with this car for a while and that i was gonna save and hopefully get a newer mustang in the near future. Obviously by the title this plan did not hold true. As i was browsing Craigslist as every searching car enthusiast does from time to time and i stumbled on to the one thing that i had wanted for my car since the day that i went and picked it up, a Vortech Supercharger. I had always loved the idea of a centrifugal supercharger but could never justify spending the $3500 price tag that was associated with the kit to put it on a car that admittedly probably wasn't worth that. This idea changed when i found a guy selling the kit that i had wanted on Craigslist for $750 so i went and got it and pulled it off his car and began the install process on my car. It didn't take long if you take out the time that i spent running to the hardware store for stupid tools that i thought that i would never need and will probably never use again. All together i spent three nights wrenching in the garage before it was finally all installed. Being that i live in upstate NY i had to wait a grueling two days before i could take the car out for a test drive (mind you the car got plenty of revving in the garage during the two day wait). After i was finally able to get the car out and take it for a test drive i was very very pleased with my work. The car felt great and now would fly. I still don't have many miles on the car since installing the supercharger (36miles to be exact) but i have noticed a few things. 1-First gear is now useless. 2- The car has loads of power around the 2600 rpm range. 3- The car doesn't have the pull that i expected at the top end of the rpm range (around 4k rpm). This leads me onto some of my questions the first being what chip is best for a supercharged application on one of these cars? I think that the computer is hitting the max timing advance and just doesn't add enough at the top of the rpm range. Ive heard great things about the Moates Qh but have no real experience tuning on cars. How easy is it for someone like me (tech savvy 18 year old) to learn to tune with this. Also can a shop dyno tune using the QH? Ive had bad luck with bama and would like to stay away from them (i mean if they cant even tune my stock mustang what are they gonna do with it being supercharged). Are there any other options for tuning these older mustangs. My car does actually have a functioning OBD2 port (first car that ford put them on). Has anyone messed with trying an OBD tuner with one of these cars? My final set of questions all have to do with the supercharger. The first one is what can this motor hold safely. I have the six psi pulley on the car right now but id like to go 8 to 10 if possible. I think i would be okay at 10 but just looking for other opinions. Also what size pulley would be needed for the V2 system to achieve said 8 or 10 psi of boost?

Thanks for reading my story and hopefully someone has some answers for a couple of my questions.

Christian Cornwell
stang by road closed sign (1 of 1).jpg

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the forum man. First let me say that I think its pretty bad ass on your part to deal with all the hate of not only owning a V6 Mustang, but also modding one. Secondly, I also think it is cool that you dove in and did the install of the supercharger on your own at age 18. You know what you want, and go for it, which earns props from me no matter what you drive. I wish I knew the answers to your questions to be able to help you out, but have never owned or read up on the 3.8 to know anything about it. Hopefully others here can help you, and we can continue to see you post and progress with your car.

Reactions: 1 user
I have never tuned a V6, or even looked at the QH software so I'm not a good asset there.
As far as the Vortech goes, typically one size in pulley change is worth 1-2 lbs. If you have a 3.6" pulley for example a 3.47 would be the next step to get to 8lbs and a 3.33 should net around 10 lbs.

Head gaskets are what I'd be concerned with the most. The 3.8L is notorious for popping them even in naturally aspirated form, so I'd imagine the risk is there in supercharged form as well. I would say it isn't a matter if the head gaskets pop, but when. Hopefully it's in your skill set to be able to change them out.

For a tune, I'd invest in a dyno tune, vs preprogrammed chip or hand held tuner.

Reactions: 2 users
The head gasket problem for ford's essex v6 covers just certain years.

There's a blown gasket problem that allows the coolant to reach the combustion chamber, early form of methanol injection? Not so much.

Ford changed to a new head gasket in 1988, this is the "bad gasket". Unfortunately for you, ford used the same gasket through 1995.

This means you MUST change those head gaskets. They WILL fail with boost. Washing down your cylinder walls with antifreeze might not help you out too much.

Do be afraid of it, a head gasket isn't that tough. It will take away your weekend though.

You sound like an ingenuitive young guy, dive into it. You'll learn a lot about engines and you'll be soooo satisfied that you fixed it yourself.

Don't worry about a smaller pulley until you do this.

Honestly, the V6 can probably take up to 13-14 pounds of boost. This is conditional on you dealing with the fuel supply and a serious tune though. Beyond that, and even around that, i would recommend upgrading to new rods and pistons. Let's say a figure of 350hp is safe with the internals you have. That's in the 8-12ish area. A wideband would help to keep you safe.

Really focus on your fuel system if you're wanting to push the ragged edge. Going lean could mean all sorts of bad stuff. It go BOOM!

So, if you want to go higher than 14 pounds, get ready to spend lots and lots of money.

@84Ttop and @TOOLOW91 and @mikestang63 could probably offer lots of help setting up with boost. @84Ttop has some seriously badass race cars that he calls street cars. The guy runs eights in the quarter. He's the king, and a nice guy to boot. The other guys are nice as can be also, but they'll agree, if you want to push it over the cliff, he's the guy that will throw his back into it.

Btw, you live in the region of at least two of these guys, get to know them.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm wondering if maybe a setup like this would be a perfect candidate for a mega squirt ecu .
Props to you for doing all the work .

As you build boost and rpm you actually need a way to pull the timing out to stop detonation .

Have you done anything with the fuel system ? The new found power may be taxing that as well .

Welcome to Stangnet !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the help guys! I have heard of the head gasket problems but didn't realize it was as prevalent as it is. After doing some more research and hearing everyone's opinions that will definitely be the next thing that i will be doing. Any opinions on good head gaskets to go with? I plan on doing some more research on finding some good ones. Looks like with the way that the weather is acting ill have plenty of time to work on it. As far as the fuel system goes i do have the t-rex pump and FMU that Vortech includes with their kit installed on my car. It says that the fuel system is good for around 10psi. I assume that is the limit of the injectors. Really don't want to get into forged rods and pistons for this motor. Just don't think that its worth it for the price per horsepower. My goal for the car is somewhere around the 300 mark to the wheels. I think that that is something to shoot for with still having a somewhat reliable setup.

Again thanks for all the help guys and for all the positive encouragement!

Thanks for all the help guys! I have heard of the head gasket problems but didn't realize it was as prevalent as it is. After doing some more research and hearing everyone's opinions that will definitely be the next thing that i will be doing. Any opinions on good head gaskets to go with? I plan on doing some more research on finding some good ones. Looks like with the way that the weather is acting ill have plenty of time to work on it. As far as the fuel system goes i do have the t-rex pump and FMU that Vortech includes with their kit installed on my car. It says that the fuel system is good for around 10psi. I assume that is the limit of the injectors. Really don't want to get into forged rods and pistons for this motor. Just don't think that its worth it for the price per horsepower. My goal for the car is somewhere around the 300 mark to the wheels. I think that that is something to shoot for with still having a somewhat reliable setup.

Again thanks for all the help guys and for all the positive encouragement!

I'm thinking being a 6 cyl and you having realistic goals you can make it work with what you have .

My suggestion once you get your gasket situation squared away is get yourself a wideband. I like the innovate. So you can see the air fuel . Get yourself a msd timing retard box BTM . So it will pull timing as the boost comes in . With the tameness of the engine and your realistic goals this shouldn't be hard to dial in the old school way .

I'm thinking being a 6 cyl and you having realistic goals you can make it work with what you have .

My suggestion once you get your gasket situation squared away is get yourself a wideband. I like the innovate. So you can see the air fuel . Get yourself a msd timing retard box BTM . So it will pull timing as the boost comes in . With the tameness of the engine and your realistic goals this shouldn't be hard to dial in the old school way .

Is there anyway that you could shed some light on exactly how the BTM works? Is it vacumm controlled or RPM activated or what? Would something like this work? http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/8676/...f6PYVDVdDuZZ-_nkuPyl4YbWjYfXfRRJJcaAvZg8P8HAQ

Im working somewhat on the cheap side and I have access to a cheap MSD 6a that a friend has that wants to get rid of. Is it worth picking up to use with something to retard the timing. One thing to keep in mind is that my car has the timing electronically set and has the coil pack thing on it. Im not sure if this makes any difference with retarding the timing.

Thanks for your help!

Is there anyway that you could shed some light on exactly how the BTM works? Is it vacumm controlled or RPM activated or what? Would something like this work? http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/8676/...f6PYVDVdDuZZ-_nkuPyl4YbWjYfXfRRJJcaAvZg8P8HAQ

Im working somewhat on the cheap side and I have access to a cheap MSD 6a that a friend has that wants to get rid of. Is it worth picking up to use with something to retard the timing. One thing to keep in mind is that my car has the timing electronically set and has the coil pack thing on it. Im not sure if this makes any difference with retarding the timing.

Thanks for your help!

BTM is vaccumed controlled . 6a isn't gonna do much for you .

So I've now gone through changed the head gaskets and most of the other gaskets I came across on the way and think the car is ready for some more power. Im ordering the moates qh soon so I'll be able to retard the timing right from that so I think that is all taken care of. I called and spoke to the guys at Vortech on the phone (nice guys to work with) and got the pulley and belt situation all figured out. My only question now is injectors. The kit came with the fuel management unit and fuel pump that increases fuel pressure as boost increases but I'm not entirely firmilliar with how this works. My car has the stock 14lbs injectors now and I'm wondering if they will be enough to support the added boost. I'm only going for 10psi so it's nothing crazy and the car won't ever be going over that with the forged kit being around $1500 so if there's a chance that these injectors can keep up I'd like to put that $250 elsewhere on the car. Thanks for all the help guys this car is gonna rip come spring time. Also gonna throw it on the rollers after the final few upgrades which should be interesting.

All I know is what I have read about V8 applications, but it seems that at 300 RWHP (H/C/I set up on a 5.0), our stock 19 lb injectors are taxed, and most have jumped up to 24's. Hopefully one of the guys who do boost for a living will chime back in, but I am almost positive you will need to upgrade.