Supercharged to NA?

chris642

Aug 31, 2007
Hey, im new here. I have a 02 GT with a vortech at 6 PSI, all stock internals. This is a problem since im looking for more power. Incresing the boost right now isnt a good idea at all since the stock internals cant handle much boost as everyone knows. I really dont have the money to spend on a built block so heres my idea, haha. I want to sell my supercharger, engine, combined with money of have on the side it gives me about 5 grand at least. My idea is to buy a forged longblock for about the same ammount, or just a shortblock and build on it myself. I figure this way i have a really strong base to build upon becasue eventually i want to put a turbo on it. I can make a NA settup with similar power im putting out now, no? The biggest problem in this entire plan is the fact that a boosted setup will need low compression, but a good NA one will need high compression. Could i run high compression then when it comes time for the turbo put a thicker head gasket in? that would be the simplest way, haha. Anyway, any input on my idea would be cool. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

forgive me for my limited knowledge on the subject, but the general consensus is that for the time and money you invest you won't be anywhere near where you'd be if you spent that money on an FI setup. To build an N/A, high-comp. short block, you'd be spending a lot of money plus the heads/cams you'll need. I'd recommend you keep your vortech and build a shortblock for it, get some blower cames and heads if you want, and be making GREAT power..you'll need to upgrade your fuel system and things like that though, which will still cost less probably than a 300+ rwhp N/a setup. I apologize if i'm wrong i'm just giving my general understanding

Stock internals can handle more boost than you think. It is the tune that makes a succesful and long lasting supercharged car. I wouldn't wast any money on foreged longblocks and all that jazz unless you want to run 14psi+ 8-12 will be fine on a stock motor.

Six pounds is nothing dude. Some people run 12lbs no problem! Sure more boost is more stress, but you gotta live a little! Just keep her at 6lbs, and save for a shortblock. A new SB from MMR will cost about 3 grand, but it will handle 700+ WHP!

Th e6 pounder will last forever, Salleen uses a 2v motor wit (I think) 9 pounds of boost and they come with a warranty. You won't beat a blower/turbo for power, there's just no way, and the neat thing about a blower/turbo is that the HP doesn't drop off above sea level and the mileage is still great. you can't get that type of an advantage by going n/a.

Yea 6PSI is nothing....well if its tuned properly. Its ALL in the tune. Look at mine, im making right @ 500RWHP on the stock shortblock....and that was @ 8.5PSI and a lean 12.5-1 A/F. On the street I had been running 9.6PSI which was around 530RWHP and it was no doubt leaner than 13-1. Thats WAY lean for a FI car and it was fine. Reason the motor didnt pop was because the rest of my tune is very safe.

Remember if a guy gives you an agressive tune, you can easily blow your engine @ 6PSI.

Yea 6PSI is nothing....well if its tuned properly. Its ALL in the tune. Look at mine, im making right @ 500RWHP on the stock shortblock....and that was @ 8.5PSI and a lean 12.5-1 A/F. On the street I had been running 9.6PSI which was around 530RWHP and it was no doubt leaner than 13-1. Thats WAY lean for a FI car and it was fine. Reason the motor didnt pop was because the rest of my tune is very safe.

Remember if a guy gives you an agressive tune, you can easily blow your engine @ 6PSI.

I agree. I think these motors can handle 12lbs or around 450whp, as long as the AFR is around 11-11.8 or so. Obviously if your revving the car to 6300 rpm's the motor is bound to pop, but if you respect the power, the car will last.

^ Well in that case maybe ill try 12PSI :D A buddy of mine is going to hook me up with free dyno time @ UTI in Houston....as many pulls as I want. So ill probably give it a whirl :D
Another cool thing is that hes going to schedule it so on the first day of orientation the students get to see my turbo mustang on the dyno as a "these are the kind of cars that you will be working with @ UTI" type thing :)

^ Well in that case maybe ill try 12PSI :D A buddy of mine is going to hook me up with free dyno time @ UTI in Houston....as many pulls as I want. So ill probably give it a whirl :D
Another cool thing is that hes going to schedule it so on the first day of orientation the students get to see my turbo mustang on the dyno as a "these are the kind of cars that you will be working with @ UTI" type thing :)

Well, I shouldn't have said 12lbs, because with your turbo that would mean more like 550-600whp:rolleyes: lol

Thanks for the replies! the one thing i forgot to mention is that i bought this car at a dealer auction like it is, all i did was take off the cats. one big reason i was considering taking out the supercharger/engine for a all new one is that i really have no idea of the history of it, exactly whats done, and how strong it is. IMHO i really dont think this engine is in that great of shape, it burns oil, like a quart every 1K, and seems to have some noise coming from the lifters. the way i am is that i like to know everything and make sure its done right, i cant say if my setup was done correctly and i dont like that. What fun is it buying a car with **** done to it? the best part is doin it yourself! Considering the fact i think my engines on the way out with its current settup, you guys think i should still keep it or go with my original idea? thanks alot!

I think that most people try to make power the wrong way by just swapping the pulley, when you should focus on removing restrictions which makes you lose boost and then getting a smaller pulley to get back the same boost level. Focus on heads, cams, exhaust, and intake. I think an intercooler would help out your car the most with longer life.

But do what you want. I think 5 grand could get you a nice forged setup with ported heads, cams, and longtubes.

Thanks for the replies! the one thing i forgot to mention is that i bought this car at a dealer auction like it is, all i did was take off the cats. one big reason i was considering taking out the supercharger/engine for a all new one is that i really have no idea of the history of it, exactly whats done, and how strong it is. IMHO i really dont think this engine is in that great of shape, it burns oil, like a quart every 1K, and seems to have some noise coming from the lifters. the way i am is that i like to know everything and make sure its done right, i cant say if my setup was done correctly and i dont like that. What fun is it buying a car with **** done to it? the best part is doin it yourself! Considering the fact i think my engines on the way out with its current settup, you guys think i should still keep it or go with my original idea? thanks alot!

Do a compression/leak down test to see the condition of the engine. If it burns that much oil, sounds like the rings are shot. if that's the case, you could run some straight 30 weight oil so it won't burn as much.

Hey, im new here. I have a 02 GT with a vortech at 6 PSI, all stock internals. This is a problem since im looking for more power. Incresing the boost right now isnt a good idea at all since the stock internals cant handle much boost as everyone knows. I really dont have the money to spend on a built block so heres my idea, haha. I want to sell my supercharger, engine, combined with money of have on the side it gives me about 5 grand at least. My idea is to buy a forged longblock for about the same ammount, or just a shortblock and build on it myself. I figure this way i have a really strong base to build upon becasue eventually i want to put a turbo on it. I can make a NA settup with similar power im putting out now, no? The biggest problem in this entire plan is the fact that a boosted setup will need low compression, but a good NA one will need high compression. Could i run high compression then when it comes time for the turbo put a thicker head gasket in? that would be the simplest way, haha. Anyway, any input on my idea would be cool. Thanks!

I have been running 10lbs now for 3 years with no problems , car dynoed 385 rwhp in 90 degree heat ......a built motor wont come close to the same power you can make now with your blower .......get a 8 or 10 lbs pulley if you want more power , just make sure your tune is good for the added boost .....