Supercharger BOV or Bypass?

87redgt

May 17, 2009
Richmond, CA
I'm currently running the setup in my sig and my car is in the shop right now. I was told that since I've got a 9lb pulley on there then I should have a good BOV or Bypass valve on it. Can someone reccomend a good BOV or Bypass valve? I would actually prefer something that is louder, I dont mind the extra attention. So the louder the better! :D Also where would a good place to mount it? I heard about driveability issues if mounted after vs. before the MAF.

• Sponsors (?)

87redgt...is it a draw thru or blow thru style MAF set up? If it is draw thru then you have to mount it on the pressurized side. It is there to relieve pressurized air. If it is blow thru then I can't help you as I have no experience with it. If you're gonna stay low boost then the one it came with should be fine. Or you can get a cheap Bosch online. They're usually good under 12-15 lbs of boost. Again you can go online to find different ones. I don't think the style has anything to do with how loud the gush of air will be. I think that is related to how much boost you are making. Therefore, more boost = louder gush...

As far as mounting it...the discharge tube should have a provision for it. Or a provision to run a hose to it.

Original Powerdynes had no BOV & never made 9psi; 6 psi was about tops. You probably don't need a BOV.

IIRC, they have ceramic bearings, with no lubrication, and are belt driven. FRPP use to brand them under their name. Belts were very prone to breakage. The concept was sound, but the materials were not available 20 years ago. Don't know if Granatelli made any improvements.

Bringing this up again, sorry. But is that confirmed? I'm running the same set up, but wit the 6psi pulley. So I wouldn't need a BOV or bypass? I have one istalled on it that vents to atmosphere, and I still have a surging idle, and I've pretty much pinned it down to this particular part of the set up..