Supercharger, engine rebuild, & compression ratio

90muustanggt

Founding Member
Sep 3, 2001
Northern VA
I just finished my engine rebuild. Its a mild rebuild with gt40p heads and a summit forged rebuild kit. The problem is that summit rates its forged rebuild kit at like 12:1 and the GT40P heads are supposed to raise the sompression ratio more.

Can someone explain if the 12:1 ratio is correct for the summit kit and will i be able to supercharge it?

• Sponsors (?)

I did the same thing, mild build with P heads but went with the hyper 9.08:1 kit instead. 10:1 can be supercharged but you'll definitely be running premium gas with low initial timing. I dont think you'll be able to run much boost though. I myself am content with 6lbs. Hopefully someone with more exp will chime in.

i have no idea, this was my first rebuild. I am running GT40p heads whatever the cc is of them. a stock (brand new) 5.0l block and the speedpro pistons that came with the kit. I am using a felpro head gasket. would a thicker gasket help any? Sorry for my crappy knowlege of engines

they came just about to the top of the deck. they had 4 reliefs i think they are called for the valves. Sorry i didnt take a measurement. all i did was buy the kit, get the crank and rods cleaned up and put it all into a new finished bore block. Not the best way to build is it? I'm also guessing because i didnt take measurements that there is no way to accuratly judge the compression ratio? Oh well it was my first build, live and learn i'm only 19. :rolleyes: But any info will help greatly!