Supercharger or Turbo???

mustanglouie

Dec 30, 2004
Oakwood GA
I have been looking and looking and looking and looking. I don't know which one I want. You can see my specs in my sig. Whichever one i go with will be on top of what I have now. I will just run low boost on the stock block for now. I have heard that a turbo makes more power at higher rpms and the supercharger(vortech v2) gives it to you instantly. I know that a turbo kit will be exspensive to get built. But which one will last longer on a daily driver and a few passes a year at the track? Later on I want to make more power with a built motor and turn up the boost and maybe get like 500-600 to the wheels. Which one sounds like the best choice to yall?
Thanks
Lou

• Sponsors (?)

I would think either one would be a good choice for a power adder. Just depends on how much you can spend. The Vortech is probably a little less expensive than turbo, but then a turbo has advantages too. A turo just piles on the power with rpms and on a built motor that can safely get to 6,000+ rpms the turbo option is quite awesome.

I don't think the Vortech is going to give "instant" power. Both build power as the rpms go up. A vortech doesn't add near as much power at 2,500 rpm like it does at 5,000 rpm. A Kenne Bell blower will literally give you "instant" power at 2,000 rpm till around 5,500 rpm (we're talking 100% torque way down low with a curve that stays flat till 5,000 rpm. Drive or ride in a stang with a Vortech and then one with a Kenne Bell and you'll find the experiences are completely different. Both are good, but very very different. You didn't mention Kenne Bell, but you did say "instant", so that is the "instant" option.

It all comes down to $$$, the overall sound you want out of your stang, and what you want to get out of your car.

Generally Speaking :D

Centri Blowers need to be spinning pretty good for that instant power

For that instant power ..............
Roots type or twin screw is what you most likely are thinking about

Turbos however ... will give you the power pretty much any ole time

I won't get into if blowers or turbos make the most power ;)

Grady

Well i agree with all of you guys turbo's make a hell of a lot more power... but he also said this is his daily driver
:bang:
Compare the number of working turbo mustangs to supercharged mustangs. The supercharged are much more reliable and i would say is your better option for your situation. :)

Haha

How many stock vehicles come with turbos compared to superchargers?

ALOT more turbo factory vehicles.

Its the owners/drivers fault for failure on these mustangs...either combo matched improperly, tune, or makin too much power for the parts they have.

For example....someone cant stay happy with 400-450rw so they turn the boost up...KaBoom

with a properly sized turbo you'll get full boost by 3000rpm and you'll make more power and much more torque than a centrifugical supercharger. Keep the boost reasonable with a good tune I think the turbo will be the best option. Plus when you want that 500 to 600 horsepower all you'll need is a good aftermarket block forged internals and turn the boost up to about 15 lbs. retune and you'll easily eclipse the 500 mark probly with you current heads and all too. For that matter you could do it with the stock shortblock but it'd be a ticking time bomb.

Haha

Its the owners/drivers fault for failure on these mustangs...either combo matched improperly, tune, or makin too much power for the parts they have.

For example....someone cant stay happy with 400-450rw so they turn the boost up...KaBoom

You know we all have opinions :D

But with Chris here :)

He has experience to go along with his ....... Opinions :nice:

To me ... that makes me listen a bit closer the these kinds of peeps ;)

For my .02 ... You can go ... too far ... real quick ............
with mods on a daily driver!

Grady

Haha

You are exactly right but just for a daily driver i feel the supercharger is becoming more of a bolt on mod.. its just easier in my opinion...:shrug:

The turbo may be a lil more of a hassel to install but in the long run the performace you get from it is far worth it.

I'm not getting into a pissing match here as the search function will cover anything we could dream of saying in this post.

We all know hands down which one makes the most efficient, thru the band, low end, insane TQ, intercooled, no pulley, motor not turning, free power of the 3

Roots, Centrfi, Turbo

We know which one.

And for the record...mine makes full boost by 2800rpm which is way to soon imop, I'm working with the AEM now trying to control boost so it doesnt come in so fast. I cant keep the car planted for the life of me......full boost so low is almost a BAD thing for the street.
I raced a 450rw 03' Cobra yesterday and missed his car by 2-3 ft at 70 mph when my car broke loose and completely went in his lane...after peadling it thru 3rd I finally WOT in 4th...good thing i was in front of him or we woulda hit.
With the blower I could beat this car and still control the fish tailing/spin....now the damn thing intimidates me.....to much to soon imop for the street.

Now track.....its on!

I would say turbo.

I have the V2 supercharger now. I have nothing bad to say about it besides the lack of support for intercoolers on our years. I have been able ot make 500rwhp with it at 10# of boost. As soon as I can swing a Dart short block, I am going to ditch the supercharger and go turbo.

I have built my car over the course of the past few years, and it is my first high hp car. When I started I figured I would be happy with about 300 hp at the wheels, that turned into 400 then 500, and it is still not enough. Horse power is adictive. Looking back when I was starting my car I really wish I would have gone turbo right away. It would have saved me a lot of money in the long run.