Superchargers for newb's

69shocktower

Nov 5, 2003
Dakotas
Trying to decide which to do first. A SC on my 89 GT or a blower on my 69 351W.

What would be involved/needed in SC my 89 GT. I know they already have factory forged pistons which are required. Right now Im running it with Trickflow street heat heads and cam and BBKSSI intake, 24lb injectors, matching custom MAF. 130A alt upgrade.

I just want a modest boost, nothing insane. And was going to pic model by ease of install. And will be just for street driving. And also at some point upgrade to 3.5 rear gears. And I still need to get it tuned with a custom chip.

I was told that Id have to port my heads or somehow increase compression and that stock bottom end just wont hold. Which Im not sure I believe.

So would I have to upgrade my injectors or throttle body or MAF or anything else for that matter?

Im posting a seperate thread on the classic forum to ask about doing the 69.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, you will need larger injectors. Depending on how much boost you run id recommened 42 lb injectors. This may seem like a big jump from your 24s, but with boost, fuel is a whole nother ballgame. What i would recommened is a eventually getting a wide band o2 sensor, this will let u know if your running lean or not. If your serious about only running moddest boost 5-6 psi....You can get away with a lot less that you'll need to do to your fuel system. Either way your gonna need a 255lph in take fuel pump, and at least an Adjustable fuel pressure regulator! Whoever told you about shaving or porting your heads or whatever is stupid. A 302 can handle some abuse, granted it does have its limits, but with moddest boost your not even close to that limit.

The head thing is rediculas, bad info there...

Actually you can run the set-up you have and run a FMU to get the added fuel you'll need (the FMU comes with nearly all the blower kits, and most of the set-ups will give in a inline and possible a new in tnak fuel pump), it works just fine on low boost street cars....and wont require a tune like the large injectors would.

They are all about the same price when you talk about 8-10 pounds, what is your ultimate power goal down the road. The last thing you want to buy in too small of a blower, the difference from a SC to a S trim is very little.

For easy of install I'd look at a non-intercooled Procharger P1SC, it will feed plenty of power and the self contained head unit is nice. Otherwise look into a Vortech S-trim, youll find both around $3100.

The head thing is rediculas, bad info there...

Actually you can run the set-up you have and run a FMU to get the added fuel you'll need (the FMU comes with nearly all the blower kits, and most of the set-ups will give in a inline and possible a new in tnak fuel pump), it works just fine on low boost street cars....and wont require a tune like the large injectors would.

They are all about the same price when you talk about 8-10 pounds, what is your ultimate power goal down the road. The last thing you want to buy in too small of a blower, the difference from a SC to a S trim is very little.

For easy of install I'd look at a non-intercooled Procharger P1SC, it will feed plenty of power and the self contained head unit is nice. Otherwise look into a Vortech S-trim, youll find both around $3100.

I agree. While I would go the route of a proper tune, you can get by with the FMU and save yourself a lot of money.

I don't know if there really is "too small" of a blower nowadays. The low boost kits are only a pulley change away from making big numbers. The P1Sc is a nice choice.

For the SC I recommend; broadband AFR gauge, boost gauge, 255 fuel pump, timing boost retard, FMU.
Depending on the SC some of the above will be included in the kit.

Other items you might consider; sub-frame connectors, 1 range colder spark plugs, new water pump (since access will be easy while you're installing the SC)

I forgot to mention that I do have a FR higher volume fuel pump, not sure of the rate, will have to check on that. And also have subframes.

Thanks for the good info. This will help. I will probably end up doing my 89 first, becuase Ive been waiting for a 351W roller block to fall in my lap for years and hasnt happend yet for my 69 blower project.

I should check into that FMU soon, if it might allieviate my current bugs, without having to drive 500 mi to pay for a custom tuning.