Supercharging stock?

Vengilyx

Mar 2, 2004
This may seem like a newbie question...but im just getting into this stuff so bear with me =) What kind of damage if any would it cause to drop a starter blower system into a stock engine? I mean everything stock, and if it is a no-no what do you want to replace in order to run it correctly, from what I gather, putting in 3.55 gears is popular with forced induction, and I would beef up the frame and all, subframes, strut tower braces, G-load brace, all that happy crappy, thanks a lot in advance for your time.

P.S. if supercharging stock is ok whats a good amount of boost to run, and can someone point me in the direction of some good starter systems?

• Sponsors (?)

As long as you got good compression and the longblock is healthy I wouldn't see it being a problem. The basic 5-6psi SC's are designed for stock applications. But you'd have to upgrade the fuel system, that's for sure. Bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump like a 190lph unit. A free flowing exhaust would help too(headers, H/X pipe, cat-back). Gears it all depends on the trans. I'm assuming you meant 3.55's for a T-5 which doesn't sound bad but I'm pretty sure some guys even run 3.73's. That's all the basic I can tell you for now since I'm not all that familiar with the details.

I bought my 92 LX bone stock (except for K&N) with 98,000 miles on it last year. Had it for a week, then put on a vortech v2 sq s-trim kit. Most of the blower manufacturers say their kits are for stock engines.

I've seen 8-9 pounds of boost with my setup. Everything is tuned to safe levels. Timing is 10* with the MSD boost retard set at 1-1.5. I feel very safe about the blower on my car. Go for it, you won't regret it a moment (except maybe when you pay for it! :D

Of course, like me, you'll get bitten by the bug to add more. Read this forum regularly. A lot of guys/gals know their stuff, it's a great place.

Alan

Some of the more popular kits are Vortech and Paxton. ATI Prochargers are really nice as well but some people are leary of them b/c they had leaking issues in the past that have said to be fixed. Some people run Powerdynes but most people stay way from them b/c of quality issues and cost of rebuilds but they are the cheapest of the Superchargers. You could do something unique like a Kenny Bell but there more expensive then the other brands. If I were you I would stick w/ either Vortech or Paxton b/c of there good reputation. Just make sure you upgrade the parts that are needed. Its not as simple as buying a S/C and bolting it on a compleatly stock motor.

Might want to look into a novi 1000 too... also when you do bigger injectors make sure to get a mass air meter calibrated for those injectors, might want to go for a bigget throttle body then too... Good luck :nice:

Striped5.0 said:
Some of the more popular kits are Vortech and Paxton. ATI Prochargers are really nice as well but some people are leary of them b/c they had leaking issues in the past that have said to be fixed. Some people run Powerdynes but most people stay way from them b/c of quality issues and cost of rebuilds but they are the cheapest of the Superchargers. You could do something unique like a Kenny Bell but there more expensive then the other brands. If I were you I would stick w/ either Vortech or Paxton b/c of there good reputation. Just make sure you upgrade the parts that are needed. Its not as simple as buying a S/C and bolting it on a compleatly stock motor.
Which is exactly why I started this thread, what parts are needed upgraded? Besides injectors and a Mass Air meter...
And what kind of HP gains can you expect to see when pushing 7 or 8 psi to a stock motor?

thanks, assuming I started with the lowest vortech entry SC setup, they say like 75hp, tha, with a new fuel system, 24 or 30 injectors and a maf, and an American thunder flowmaster setup with x-pipes, and probably mac shorty headers, can anyone guess how many more HP ill get out of it? like 100? 90?

I put the Atrim (now SCtrim) on my almost-stock car last year. All I had was a catback and an intake. Other than that, stock. No fuel problems at all, it ran like a champ with no tuning issues.

"They say" that each pound of boost is good for roughly 15HP, so depending on how much boost you run, you can figure that. The other mods, well, they all depend on each other and what is installed with what. I'd expect a huge diff. between a blown stock car and a blown car w/all those mods you listed.

Me, I am currently adding new headers and catted H pipe to finish my exhaust. That will open me up quite a bit, I'm sure. I've also added a new fuel pump & injectors, throttle body and MAF. Can't wait to get the car running' now.

awesome dude I wish you the best, im figuring for everything I listed on operating with a 6k budget, does this sound reasonable? Perhaps someone who has done similar mods can give me some price perspective

Thanks. All I have left is header & h pipe install. The rest is done and the car is running well (finally!)

Do you do your own installs? If not, and you're handy, you should learn. I remember I found this site when I was trying to find local people to labor for me, and I ended up doing everything myself. Save lots of money and get tons of satisfaction.

Anyway:

vortech SC: $1600, according to this thread
24 or 30 injectors maf: $200-230 for each, most likely, unless you get used.
American thunder flowmasters: $250
x-pipes: $200-250?
mac shorty headers: $150 for HTS coated ones, I believe.

You'd probably want adjustable FP regulator, $60, and a gauge $30 or less. If you'd like a boost gauge to see where you are, those can be had for $50, and a pod to hold it on the a-pillar for $20-25.

You're still under $6K!

Vengilyx said:
And what kind of HP gains can you expect to see when pushing 7 or 8 psi to a stock motor?

prob about 310-320 at the rear wheels if you keep the exhaust and Intake stock. W/ full exhaust done, changing to a bigger intake you will prob net closer to 350 at the rear wheels. You would prob want to get a few guages as well like a boost guage and water temp at the very least.

Insted of just throwing on a supercharger you should tell us what your goals are w/ the car as far as HP or 1/4 times b/c there may be a better/cheaper way to accomplish what your trying to do b/c theres no way to just throw on a supercharger while trying to keep it cheap.

well Im looking to take my car between 300-400 hp, would like to run somewhere in the low 12's or better, but I want it to still be streetable, which is why I wanted to go with the supercharger, because that way I dont have to do an entire engine rehaul (cams, heads, rollers, intake upper & lower, ect...) but I wanted the HP gains. Any suggestions are more than welcome, like I said im new to the game.

P.S. Im very good mechanically, I just have very little experience, I have all the tools I could need, and I can figure most anything out, so how hard is all this to install, all the exhaust, fuel system, and SC? And what are yalls opinions on whether I should do it myself?

well they say 8-10 hours for the install with basic hand tools i have a vortech sc-trim on the floor in my room right here next to me. i on the other hand am completly re-building my engine to the bone and plan to be makeing 500+ at the wheels (ed curtis agreed with me and cut me a custom cam to help aid me in this task)and roll a mid to high 10 in the quarter mile and still be street legal. as for the best basic kit the vortech sc-trim kit from superchargers4less.com is the best way to go and with 6k you could put a cam heads intake and that supercharger kit on there LOL 6k is alot for your basic entry level supercharger kit.

yeak 6k is a lot but im doing a lot more than SCing, im planning to take from stock, and put on:
Subframe
Struts
G-load brace
headers
X or H pipe
American Thunder Exhaust
New Throttle body
24 or 30# injectors
MAF Meter
and maybe an intake

What would yall suggest X or H pipes? lol another newb Question...whats the difference?